How do you monitor / profile your live Elixir / Phoenix apps?

Thanks for important note! Now, I got little light at the end of the tunnel :slight_smile:

I got a green line at Erlang VM memory chart, but other charts are all blank:

I tried to refresh the page of phoenix several times in the browser, to make some changes, but all blank :confused:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I think now itā€™s a time range problem - see that Sep 29 to a few seconds ago (top right corner)? Click on it and select say last 5 minutes. btw we have #prometheus channel on elixir lang slack.

1 Like

:relieved: now I can see two charts, others are still blank, but itā€™s getting better :slight_smile: thank you

2 Likes

This isnā€™t 100% official yet (e.g. there is no blog post yet and stuff) but there is a pre alpha version of a phoenix agent for skylight (which people might know from ruby) - I havenā€™t tried it out yet and was told that you might still need the ruby gem to create a ā€œfake ruby appā€ - the skylight client is here: https://github.com/skylightio/skylight-phoenix

No I donā€™t work for skylight, I use it at work and know people from there thatā€™s how I know and got the ok to post this :slight_smile:

Happy that they do it and hope I get some time at work next week to try it out and plug it in - also happy for some competition and growth in the elixir/phoenix application performance monitoring market! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @arjan, can you give an update on phoenix channel support now that AppSignal for elixir is officially released?

2 Likes

Sure, itā€™s documented here: http://docs.appsignal.com/elixir/integrations/phoenix.html#channels now.

3 Likes

Although I havenā€™t tried this particular library, Iā€™ve been extremely happy with Airbrake over the years. IMO, for the price itā€™s really hard to beat for all of the information that it gives you.

https://github.com/romul/airbrake-elixir

Edit: At least it used to be. I thought there was a lower cost, single-app plan.

3 Likes

Scout now supports Elixir for application monitoring. Thereā€™s a free plan for hobby apps.

Besides Phoenix controllers, you can also instrument channels, Task, GenServer, and more. See the docs.

Note: Iā€™m one of the developers behind Scout.

3 Likes

@deadtrickster I tried to use the libs and followed aldusleaf.org but Iā€™m getting an error: x.a.valueFormats[e] is not a function, and all my charts are blank. Any hints? also, no errors from the elixir, Iā€™m using the lastest grafana and prometheus.

1 Like

Currently working on this with @deadtrickster. But you can use this dashboard.

3 Likes

worked, except for Controller call durations, Ecto, Ecto Query, and View rendering

1 Like

Hello, that posts is unfortunately a bit outdated now. Grafana updated its format handling, you can fix it easily yourself by editing respective sections of the red-triangled graphs.
If you still donā€™t see your data, please check data source name.

1 Like

Why? You donā€™t have the data or you have errors again?

2 Likes

I think the problem is prometheus not receiving Phoenix and Ecto metrics, but I followed the entire guide, and checked twice, is something Iā€™m doing wrong?

1 Like

can you join as on elixir-lang slack? channel is #prometheus.

But generally, if you donā€™t see your metrics in grafana, you should go to prometheus console and check target statuses and try to render metrics using raw prometheus graph page.

2 Likes

Still isā€¦:wink: