sribe

sribe

I’m creating a NIF, and having some issues around packaging.

  • I started with an empty Elixir app, added the NIF source in its own directory, the appropriate task to mix.exs to build shared library into priv, and the wrapper module with @on_load of :erlang.load_nif('priv/foo.so', nil)

  • That worked: I could iex -S mix run --no-halt then exercise the NIF using Foo.func(...); also foo’s tests worked.

  • I want to package this as a library that can just be pulled in as a normal dependency. It’s just simple functions, no need for its own application or any processes. So I deleted lib/foo_app.ex and lib/foo_app/application.ex, and in mix.exs removed the mod: entry from the application. mix compile and mix test both work.

  • Now for the problems: using it. I create a new empty application, add the dependency {:foo, path: "../foo", app: false}. Compile works, but when I try to run (or test), the load of the NIF fails, because it’s not in priv relative to the executing project location, but rather in _build/dev/lib/local_dependency

  • It seems that maybe to load the NIF I should use Application.app_dir(:foo, "priv") but that gives an error about unknown application, while :code.priv_dir(:foo) gives :bad_name. Also, I note that mix release does not copy the NIF lib at all, not even if I add Mix.Project.build_structure to the end of the compile mix task after priv/foo.so is created.

  • So maybe I have to have an empty dummy application in the lib project, just to make all the build parts happy? And indeed, adding back a dummy app, setting the mod: to point to it, etc, makes things work. But of course the dummy app needs a start/2 with a return of the right form, so:

defmodule Foo.App do
  use Application
  def start(_, _) do
    Supervisor.start_link([], [strategy: :one_for_one])
  end
end

It seems silly to have to implement a do-nothing supervisor in order for the NIF lib to be copied and able to be located. Isn’t there a better way to structure and pull in this lib???

Showing Posts 1 to 9

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Not a supervisor, but a no-op Application is all you need, it doesn’t need to start anything at all. Priv directories are in relation to an Application root (as are config files and more too). :slight_smile:

sribe

sribe OP

OK, I see now:

  • Leave out mod: ... in the application def in mix.exs
  • But do have a module which matches the app: ... name
  • But leave the module totally empty, no use Application, no start/2
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Well use Application, as that is what defines the entrance, but the start is generally just a nop.

sribe

sribe OP

When I tried start as a noop, it complained about the return value. (I did not try just returning {:ok, nil})

When I remove both the start function and use Application, it still works. Apparently the use is not needed, just a module whose name matches the app: key in the project def is enough for it to base paths on that module.

Also, instead of function application returning [], I just removed that function altogether from mix.exs, and it still works.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Actually I ‘think’ you can just leave the start function out entirely from the callback module, at least you could in erlang if I recall right. Otherwise an empty supervisor pid is fine.

sribe

sribe OP

I didn’t realize that, and didn’t try it–just assumed something would complain about the bogus pid.

The key to leaving out start in the module is leaving out mod: ... in mix.exs–that results in it not trying to call start, and also seems to allow for dropping use Application

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yep, you can even see part of that in mix help new:

A --sup option can be given to generate an OTP application skeleton including a
supervision tree. Normally an app is generated without a supervisor and without
the app callback.

grantwest

grantwest

@sribe Is you work by chance open source? I am trying to do the same thing and I’d love something to reference.

acalejos

acalejos

Shameless plug, but you can check out a library i wrote that does this. It uses Application only to handle config options. Otherwise its just a wrapper for a C library. Everything in the mix.exs referring to “precompilation” might be useful too if you want to precompile your NIF shared libraries for a more seamless experience if publishing to Hex.

https://github.com/acalejos/exgboost

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews