LJ1990

LJ1990

How do you push data to external APIs?
In one of my side projects I want to index some data to Redis whenever a DB entry is created/updated/deleted (the same scenario is also applicable if the external API is a Elasticsearch/Algolia endpoint).

For this I am calling a function in my Redis module within my create/update db functions.

Since indexing does not need to happen synchronously, I thought about speeding up the e2e response time by wrapping the call to the Redis client in Task.async/1.

My question is now: What happens if a lot of DB entries are created? In this case it would be better to bundle all the data to be indexed and then send it over the wire within a single batch request.

Would you then reach for different modules like GenServers? Is Flow or Broadway a good use case for this?
Would you use Task.async in my scenario at all? Or do it with the Task.Supervisor module to add some additional resilience?
Also keeping in mind that you do not want to exhaust the external API.

Thoughts?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

hauleth

hauleth

Do not use Task.async/1 as this spawns task outside of supervisor tree, use Task.Supervisor.async/{2,3}.

Yes, it would be better to do so.

Yes. Create cache that will run function to reindex data that will debounce/throttle data. It can be GenStage, but do not need. All you need could be achieved via :gen_statem.

I would never use Task.async/1 in production.

ityonemo

ityonemo

I would use Task.async in tests, or in the REPL.

hauleth

hauleth

In production

ityonemo

ityonemo

Sorry I read op as asking if you would use Task.async in “any” situation, misread “my”.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews