Jayshua
I was exploring the new esbuild system in Phoenix. The documentation suggests that the two ways to import third-party libraries are by putting them in a vendor folder or by using npm install. However, the app generated by phx.new doesn’t appear to do either of those when importing the phoenix & phoenix liveview js. (Although it does use the first method to import the topbar library.)
Based on the output js file, it looks like esbuild is finding the js libraries in the deps directory, but I haven’t been able to find any config or code telling esbuild to look there.
How does this work?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
We also set an environment variable in the esbuild config pointing to Elixir deps folder, and esbuild also looks for files in there. I am on my phone but I can give a full reference tomorrow.
josevalim
As promised:
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/c6bd2ad5ad1d0b9d130e452344d42623690f6121/installer/templates/phx_single/config/config.exs#L41
Jayshua
Thank you!
So esbuild treats deps like a node_modules folder, finds the phoenix folder, reads the package.json inside, sees:
And picks one of them?
josevalim
Yes, correct.
dhanson
I have an elixir json-api; We never converted from brunch to webpack. We added liveview dashboard for our production support/ issue resolution. In the normal course of actions we were upgrading our deps . we went from phoenix 1.5.0 to current to see what happened (way behind I know but we went live and had some issues to deal with…) All was good locally in dev after the deps upgrade; (we forgot to do the brunch rebuild of assets locally). CI caught that and threw an error about ES6 syntax in the phx javascript. We spent a day trying to figure out how to configure brunch to support that, and then said let’s go to webpack, then found that esbuild was the new and improved way to do this. It is fast, but we have an issue;
We have an SPA served from a different port/server, and on ‘start’ the app tries to open a socket on the SPA port. This thread looks like the right place to start to track this down. We have been trying to go back versions to get to a place where this socket behavior does not happen, with no luck. We removed the env: statement in the config.exs and that did not fix the socket connect behavior.
Any suggestions on where to look? I figure We cannot be the only SPA / phoenix API & Dashboard implementation. Do we just go back and never upgrade deps ever? or is this really and esbuild related issue? TIA.