tadasajon

tadasajon

The consensus in the elixir community seems to be that Fly.io is the way to deploy Phoenix apps, and I have successfully done this myself, but I don’t understand how it works.

The docs state:

We want you to run your full stack close to users, whether it’s a simple web service or your database-backed opus with multiple supporting services.

But what if I have users all over the world? Does Fly.io constantly move my app around to be close to different users? What about the database – certainly it should be the single source of truth, so I don’t see how it can be moved easily.

What does Fly.io offer that is different from just picking a datacenter in some location that you think will be close to the majority of your users and just deploying your app there?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I think Fly is doing great stuff, and I think they’re a great default for deployment. That said, I think there’s still a LOT of us deploying Phoenix in more traditional cloud environments, or in even more traditional servers. Fly is definitely not the majority of deployments, and I would be surprised if they were a plurality.

I am not a Fly expert, but my sense is that they help in two ways:

  1. LiveView in particular adds client → server round trips for rendering that often do not hit the database. These are helped by having the app closer to the client.
  2. Fly has global replicas for postgres, which basically let you have read replicas colocated near your apps near your users at the edge. This doesn’t help writes, but it definitely cuts down on latencies for reads.
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Do add to that: Fly enables you to be closer to your users, but it doesn’t come for free, but as options you need to use.

  1. The first option is scaling your app server across multiple regions. That can be done on other hosts as well and while it is simple on fly I wouldn’t call that something you won’t or can’t see elsewhere.
  2. The second option is scaling your db across regions as read replicas, where you’d still stick to a single writeable instance. Fly uses the first point as the underlying infrastructure for their managed databases. On top there are a few well thought out conventions to let their hosted db setup be rather hands off for the db scaling side and also provide some comparatively simple means of making your app ready for such a setup as well. This again can probably be done elsewhere as well, though I haven’t seen all of those points be combined that well.
tadasajon

tadasajon OP

Fly is definitely not the majority of deployments, and I would be surprised if they were a plurality.

What deployment solution would you guess accounts for the plurality of deployments?

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

Look up Mark Ericksen’s talk at last year’s ElixirConf for more details. It’s some clever stuff.

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

From polls, conversations, and a lot of support I can confidently say elixir apps are deployed all over the place: GCP, AWS, Heroku, Render, Gigalixir, Hetzner, and Fly come up regularly (though Gifalixir and Heroku are declining).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

Potions
A new screencast on live LiveView updates with PubSub, the Oban Web dashboard, and smarter retries. Part 2 of 2. Screencast + full walkth...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews