LauraBeatris
I learned that Elixir has an implicit return in functions, so we don’t need to use the return keyword in order to return a value if it’s the last one of the block.
def create_deck do
["Pikachu", "Bulbasaur", "Piplup"] # Will return right away
end
But how does that work? And if the function has nothing to return?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bglusman
Not only does it have implicit return, there is no alternative, no return keyword in Elixir.
Functions in elixir (and erlang) always return some value. That value can be simply nil or :ok or whatever the output of the last statement executed in the function, but it will have a return value. If you only care about the side effects of calling the function, you may ignore its return value at the call site.
Note that if, case and cond all return the last value from their executed path as well.
The concept of referential transparency has some relevance here; though elixir doesn’t have strict referential transparency because of side effects, when there’s no explicit or implicit message passing to other processes or IO, I believe it does. Just thought worth mentioning, you asked “how does that work”, and depending on what sense you meant that in, there are a lot of answers, but it works great!
jtsummers
This is a consequence of Elixir (like Erlang) being expression-oriented, not statement oriented. Nearly everything in the language is an expression which evaluates to a value. This is in contrast with statement-oriented languages like C, Java, and others.
This has a few implications:
ifandcasecan be used on the right hand side of=in Elixir, but not in C. Here’s an example:In C that wouldn’t work since
ifreturns nothing, you’d need to use the ternary expression to achieve a similar result. That choice of term is important. In every language (that I know of) expressions and statements are distinct.Qqwy
To add on what the others have already said:
Expressions that have “nothing” to return usually return
nilor sometimes:ok. An example is for instanceif false do ... end(which returnsnilbecause there is noelse-block) andIO.puts/1(which returns:ok).dimitarvp
Then it implicitly returns
nil(which is actually a syntactic sugar for the atom:nil, same astrueandfalseare syntactic sugar for:trueand:false). Try this:And then invoke
Nothing.nothing()iniex. You’ll getnil.kokolegorille
Then You call it a method
It’s all about function composition. If it returns nothing, it is most likely a procedure, then it’s not possible to compose with it.
As simple as it is, a function should look like this, and pure function always returns the same output for the same input. You can compose with the powerful |>
Input → Output |> Input → Output |> Input → Output
And coming from Typescript, You will see it’s important to have clear input and output types. Functions are like interfaces.
This video helped me to switch from OOP to FP, because it’s better not to compare with what You already know. In fact, You need to unlearn