marick

marick

The description for Phoenix.CodeReloader starts like this:

For each request, Phoenix goes through all modules and checks if any of them implement a __phoenix_recompile__?/0 function. If they do and it returns true, the module source file is touched, forcing it to be recompiled. For this functionality to work, Phoenix requires you to add the :phoenix compiler to your list of compilers: […]

Can someone explain how this works? I’m confused by:

  • Where does __phoenix_recompile__? come from?
  • What does adding :phoenix to the list of compilers do?
  • Where does the reloading of a successfully-compiled new version of a source file happen?

What I want to accomplish

To learn LiveView, I want to provide a localhost view into the runtime structure created by a set of modules. The modules have very specific constraints that mean I don’t need to care about a lot of special cases. What I have is:

  • a set of modules. Each has a single “constructor” function (all with the same name) that makes a big nested structure.
  • a genserver module that maintains a map from module name to big nested structure.

My “watcher” app is to start by loading up all the modules, populating the genserver map, and displaying pretty things in a browser interface.

When one of the module source files is (successfully) changed, I want the watcher app to:

  1. Notice that a module is out of date (probably via file_system).
  2. Delete that module from the genserver.
  3. Load the new version of the module’s code.
  4. Run the constructor function and add the new big nested structure to the genserver.

By “very specific constraints” above, I mean, for example, that there are no compile-time dependencies between these modules. There’s an extra level of indirection meaning that the Animal module does not have to be redefined when the Species module changes.

Because my case is so simple, it seems like Phoenix.CodeReloader, phoenix_live_reload, the vsn module attribute, and IEX’s r command are doing things I don’t have to do.

I’m hoping I don’t have to understand complicated cases to implement the simple case.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Exadra37

Exadra37

Maybe @IvanR can help here, because he was working with the Phoenix code reloader to fix a bug I reported in his Domo library.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Sounds like an interesting visualization! I’m excited to hear more about it eventually.

I think you might be interested in looking at exsync which is an alternative code reloader that is built on file_system (and that I help maintain):
https://github.com/falood/exsync/

The code should be pretty easy to follow and it’s easy to change the code to call a function every time a module is changed.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

FWIW, Phoenix.CodeReloader calls mix compile under the hood. It is not effectively compiling. The custom compiler and __phoenix_recompile__? were specific for template reloading but this feature has been moved to Mix and will be deprecated from Phoenix.

From your description, you probably want to play with the Code module in Elixir and the associated :code module in Erlang - as it seems you don’t want to compile the code but act on the code that is available/has been compiled.

marick

marick OP

Thank you all. exsync is easy to understand. The trick I was missing was that Code doesn’t reveal the two functions :code.load_file and :code.load_binary. You can see how the latter is used in exsync here.

@josevalim: Would it be useful to add something like the following text at the end of the Working with files section of the Code documentation?

“The three functions above work with Elixir source. If you want to load a compiled file (typically found below the _build directory of a Mix project, with the extension .beam), see the Erlang functions :code.load_file/1 and :code.load_binary/3.”

That would have saved me from taking some unproductive paths. If so, I’ll make a PR.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yeah, a PR is welcome!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews