ericgray

ericgray

I never fully understood how Phoenix is able to route urls with params like "users/1" to the correct Controller, Action. From what I understand Phoenix pattern matches the path on incoming requests. For example, its easy to see how "/users" will match this get macro.

get "/users", UserController, :index

But how does Phoenix route "/users/1" to this.

get "/users/:id", UserController, :show  

How does Phoenix match "/users/1" to "/users/:id"
I know it can’t be traditional pattern matching otherwise you’d get a no function clause matching error.

There must be some kind of macro magic happening behind the scenes that I don’t understand.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

It delegates part of that responsibility to plug and this function:

https://github.com/elixir-plug/plug/blob/master/lib/plug/router/utils.ex#L52-L67

The primary logic starts here:

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/master/lib/phoenix/router.ex#L321-L324

The thing that generates the final AST is here:

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/master/lib/phoenix/router.ex#L353-L386

My understanding is that it effectively turns into something like:

def __match_route__(conn, :get, ["users", id], "www.google.com")

That means, when it initially gets a request, it just splits the path by / and can then match on that.

ericgray

ericgray OP

Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to take a deep dive into the source but in order to understand what’s going on under the hood looks like I have no choice.

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

simplified, we generate function heads like this:

def match(conn, "GET", ["users"]), do: UserController.call(conn, UserController.init(:index))
def match(conn, "GET", ["users", id]) do
  new_params = Map.merge(conn.params, %{"id" => id})
  UserController.call(%{conn | params: new_params}, UserController.init(:show))
end
def match(conn, _, _) do: # raise Phoenix.NotFoundError ...
16
Post #3
ericgray

ericgray OP

Hey Chris thanks, that really pointed me in the right direction. I dug a little deeper and found this video Erlang Factory 2014 – Write Less, Do More (and Have Fun!) with Elixir Macros The video is a gem and really helped me understand Macros.

I was always curios how the Router layer worked in Phoenix. For any one interested about 31:22 Chris explains how routes work. I also purchased Metaprogramming Elixir, used my Elixir Forum discount and got it for 7 bucks. What a steal!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews