venomnert

venomnert

Context:

I’m reading through “Elixir in Action” by“ Saša Jurić. In section 5.2.2 he provides the following algorithm on how processes read messages:

The receive expression works as follows:

  1. Take the first message from the mailbox.
  2. Try to match it against any of the provided patterns, going from top to bottom.
  3. If a pattern matches the message, run the corresponding code.
  4. If no pattern matches, put the message back into the mailbox at the same position it originally occupied. Then try the next message.
  5. If there are no more messages in the queue, wait for a new one to arrive. When a new message arrives, start from step 1, inspecting the first message in the mailbox.
  6. If the after clause is specified and no message is matched in the given amount of time, run the code from the after block.

Scenario:

Assume that a process receives these three message in the following order:

  • message a
  • message b
  • message c

Here is the process receive statement:

receive do
  {:message_b, value} -> IO.puts "Message b is complete" 
  {:message_c, value} -> IO.puts "Message c is complete" 
end

Question:

Will the process always start from the top of the queue all the time, even if it already knows that it can’t handle the first message? In above case it always start off by trying to see if it can handle message_a (which it can’t) and then continue to proceed to the next message.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

Here’s something you can run locally:

defmodule MyLoop do
  def loop do
    IO.puts "Entering the loop"
    
    receive do
      :msg_b ->
        IO.puts "msg b"
        loop.()
      :msg_c ->
        IO.puts "msg c"
        loop.()
    end
  end
end

pid = spawn(&MyLoop.loop/0)

send(pid, :msg_a)
send(pid, :msg_b)
send(pid, :msg_c)
send(pid, :msg_a)
send(pid, :msg_b)
send(pid, :msg_c)
Process.info(pid, :messages)

My output:

Entering the loop
iex(17)> send(pid, :msg_a)
:msg_a
iex(18)> send(pid, :msg_b)
msg b
Entering the loop
:msg_b
iex(19)> send(pid, :msg_c)
msg c
Entering the loop
:msg_c
iex(20)> send(pid, :msg_a)
:msg_a
iex(21)> send(pid, :msg_b)
msg b
Entering the loop
:msg_b
iex(22)> send(pid, :msg_c)
msg c
:msg_c
Entering the loop
iex(26)> Process.info(pid, :messages) 
{:messages, [:msg_a, :msg_a]}

You can see that msg_a will pile up in the process queue, as @jwarlander mentions

jwarlander

jwarlander

Yes, indeed it will.. The result, if your process doesn’t ever flush out otherwise unhandled messages, is that it may end up sifting through millions of them just to process those that are relevant. This is something that you’ll need to be aware of; either crash on an unexpected message, or (at some point at least) throw it away.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

FWIW this behavior is one of the reasons it’s usually preferable to use structured machinery around send + receive, like gen_server and friends - unexpected messages will be converted to crashes.

dom

dom

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews