ar7max
I will be short:
defmodule A do
use B
def func1 do
callback = &func2/1
# then I need to send callback to another function call
end
# that's all, there is no definition of func2 in module A
# all your func2 definitions belongs to module B
# but this way it will fail with no error
# just func2 will never be called
end
So, pls, read “comments” section of code example if u have not done it yet.
The workaround is that I need to define function func2 in module A and arity doesn’t matter.
I was also playing with on_definition hook to understand what’s going on and everything looks fine:
def on_def(_env, kind, name, args, guards, body), do:
IO.puts("Defining #{kind} named #{name}")
It shows me a definition of func2 right at the start where I was expecting it to be
Should I dive into sources of Elixir or is there some Unhidden Truth somewhere on this topic?
Is there something with compiler?
Yep, I forgot, module B just contains using macro with quoted definition of func2
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
usecalls the macro__using__on compile time of the mentioned module, this way code gets injected into the calling module.Simplified
use Bgets replaced by whatever is in the returnedquoteblock ifBs__using__.This behaviour should be documented in the
Kernel module under theuse` macro (or is it a special form?). Can’t search it for you as I’m on mobile data plan only…hauleth
In short, this:
Is exactly the same as:
This is just sugar over it, see for yourself.
ar7max
As I can understand from docs my code translates to
require Bplus call ofB.__using__macro. And that’s all. Then I should be able to use func2. Mb it is something to do with capturing function.