almir-neto
I saw that Ecto repo have the function Repo.stream, but I dont know what the steps happens when a trigger the Stream.run. A query like SELECT * FROM table will waits the full scan of database to proced to the next steps or as data arrives will it be sended on to the Elixir client?
Suppose this code, what are happen between the client and the database?
select_all_query
|> Repo.stream()
|> Stream.map(&some_operation_on_data)
|> Stream.run()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
Repo.streamuses a cursor on databases where that’s available, so it will retrieve chunks ofmax_rowsrows at a time.almir-neto
You know if to a Redshift database the
Repo.streamcan avoid brings the entire table at once?cevado
As @al2o3cr said, it will retrieve chunks, according to the executed query. if there is no filtering/limiting factor on your Stream processing side of the thing, it will end up with all rows in memory at the endo f the stream execution.
functions like
Stream.run/1,Stream.take/2,Stream.filter/2andStream.reject/2should limit or avoid having all rows returned by the query in memory on your application.edit: otherwise, it will protect the database of returning all rows at once with the cursor but will have all rows in the application memory.
al2o3cr
The Redshift docs include a specific warning about using cursors with a large result set:
AFAIK this is a Redshift-specific issue, as the corresponding section of the PG docs doesn’t mention anything similar.