BCM1982

BCM1982

I am using GenServer.call/3 to send messages from one node (Node A) to another (Node B). The messages must be sent in order, sort of like this:
Enum.map payload, fn load →
GenServer.call({Server,:somewhere@remote},load)
end
However, I want these calls to be very fast. I could create a Task for each call, and have Node A attach a timestamp (represented by ascending natural numbers) to each load so that Node B can sort the potentially out of order messages, like this.
Enum.map payload, fn load →
Task.async(fn → GenServer.call({Server,:somewhere@remote},{Counter.next(),load}) end)
end
|> Enum.map fn task →
Task.await(task)
end
Sorry for any formatting or syntax errors. This should start a process for each call to Node B, and the networking time is overlapped instead of stretched out. The problem with this approach is that now Node A must generate timestamps for messages when Node B is supposed to do so (the system uses star topology with Node B at the center acting as a message broker). I want to keep the design clean. Basically, is synchronous GenServer.call/3 fast enough so that using Tasks for many calls is unnecessary? Also, unrelated to the main topic, is it okay for Node A to do the “timekeeping”? In this system Node A creates all new events through a rest api. Every other node (Node B included) processes these events.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

tty

tty

  1. There is no guarantees on message arrival orders over the network. This is totally outside Elixir/Erlang/Scala/Go/C/Java/etc domain. A flaky router in the network can delay messages while another message which avoids this router arrive timely.

  2. The GenServer.call/3 is as fast as the GenServer.call/3. If the

GenServer.call, do: very_slow_function() end

it would be impossible for the GenServer.call/3 to be fast
All the GenServer.call/3 means is the callee and GenServer process would block until it receives a result.

  1. Given you expect some ordering there are 3 possible distinct ordering:
    a. Requests ordering
    b. Processing ordering
    c. Result ordering

These are independent, it is possible to require processing ordering but not request and result ordering. Are you certain you require this ordering to begin with.

  1. In general Node A can do the “timekeeping” because it is the entry point into your system. It is possible that Node B is the actual entry point but that is something you have to decide, partially by your answer to (3).
NobbZ

NobbZ

Messages between Node A process 1 and Node B process 2 arrive in order, but might be randomly interleaved by messages of any other process of Node A or Node C (which I suppose to exist, since only 2 nodes don’t make a “star topology”).

But even if order of messages between processes is guaranteed, try as best as you can to remove your dependency on the message.

Often we want ordering where its not actually necessary, and to be honest, the business people which required me to deliver messages in order, didn’t even realize, that I did not. And all I do is holding back cancel messages until I’ve seen the message that gets canceled :wink:

joefractal

joefractal

Several factors which make a definitive answer impossible.

  1. How much processing is happening inside the GenServer. If it’s substantial then all other optimizations are moot
  2. Is the processing acting on GenServer state? (meaning it’s needs to sequential)
  3. How are Node A & B connected
  4. How large is payload etc

If you are worried about the context switch & overhead of many genserver calls, you can send chunks or even the whole payload.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Well, in general, I do understand this as “how much overhead does GenServer.call/3 add?”, and I tend to say, usually it adds less overhead than implementing something from scratch to push data from one node to the other.

Available Bandwith to send the data, CPU time to process the data and sending the reply needs to happen anyway, regardless of a GenServer is used or something else.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews