How have you been learning Elixir?

You might want to watch this space :003:

I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, but I started work on a community-centered screencasting outfit last year but due to personal reasons had to put it on the back burner.

It was going to be a free/cheap (as in if you want to subscribe, you can) model with any profits going towards tech projects (after paying staff/expenses etc). When I first mentioned it, Matz (creator or Ruby) retweeted it and we had huge interest.

But yeah, we definitely need more video content.

Btw in case you haven’t heard of it, there’s also www.elixirsips.com

1 Like

Every framework under the sun has a plethora of tutorials and “let’s make a xyz clone” youtube videos. That is, with the exception of Phoenix/Elixir. I don’t understand why that is. The conferences on youtube seemed to be chock full of people.

I’ve seen that and considered it, however the guy talks like he’s on meth. I got the impression too that some of the material is dated. The free example video discussing the Dynamo web framework for example.

I haven’t actually seen any Sips myself yet, but whoever presents video is bound to get some that love and some that hate their voice.

I dread to think what you would think of my voice :icon_eek: :043:

(I hate my voice - I think I sound a bit ‘dim’)

My poor Yeti - hasn’t seen any action yet! :lol:

Hi there!
Well, I first subscribed to Learn Elixir TV to get an overview of the language. I’ve also read Programming Elixir and now I’m finishing Elixir in action as well. I prefer going into practical stuff as soon as possible so I’ve also subscribed to the Red:Four tutorial which is awesome.

I believe in learning by doing, so I built the Phoenix Trello tribute/clone and tutorials, which has been an awesome experience so far, now even more specially after seeing that many other people are using it to learn about Elixir/Phoenix. Thanks to everybody for the support by the way :heart_eyes:

Finally, I’m building my second tribute/clone of another great application I use everyday, and I’m putting in practice everything I’ve learned so far since I build Phoenix Trello :smile:

9 Likes

Elixirsips is dated in the sense that it’s been going for a while and Elixir is only just gone 1.x but there are over 200 videos, so lots of content much of it specific to a particular thing we might be interested in. The latest stuff is up to date language wise.

LearnElixirTV is great for Elixir but doesn’t get into Phoenix at all.

I’ve got most of the books. Pretty much because I’m a moron and need to keep hammering it into my head LOL

1 Like

For a first ‘general’ view and some ‘how does it feel’ i’ve used the getting started guide. Now working through Elixir School, have bought the elixir books from Manning (Elixir in Action by Saša Jurić and The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook by Benjamin Tan Wei Hao). Also in the shelf is Programming Elixir 1.2 by Dave Thomas.
I am not that into video tutorials.

2 Likes

[quote=“bigardone, post:12, topic:63”]
I believe in learning by doing, so I built the Phoenix Trello tribute/clone and tutorials, which has been an awesome experience so far, now even more specially after seeing that many other people are using it to learn about Elixir/Phoenix. Thanks to everybody for the support by the way :heart_eyes: [/quote]

Nice one Ricardo - you have plenty of fans here :003:

C’mon it’s cruel not telling us what it is :101:

You and me both Fergus :lol: How many have you read so far and what order do you suggest others read them?

hahaha :smile:
in a couple of weeks I’ll share it with everybody and write some tutorials about it as well :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve gone in this order, working through the exercises in each:

Programming Erlang
|> Programming Elixir
|> Programming Phoenix

With a little learnyousomeerlang, elixirsips and Phoenix Trello, blog posts/articles sprinkled in of course. As someone new to FP and OTP, it’s a lot to digest, but so far, so good.

1 Like

I tried reading a introductionary book, but put it aside after a couple of pages. Instead I started the Elixir-Track at exercism.io and learned much of Elixirs syntax and libraries while doing the exercises over there. I went the same route with Erlang, but didn’t even try to read a book before hand :wink:

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of learning by doing.
I started off with a small project, which was a command line app, but is now just a script that prints out random quotes every time I open iex.
Now working on larger security-related projects.

2 Likes

I completely agree with @riverrun

Currently, i am working on implementing HTTP2 on Elixir.

1 Like

I am trying to learn Elixir without doing web programming. I am not a big fan of web frameworks and tend to avoid them, especially when I am just learning a new language or technology. So I am working through stuff without learning Phoenix and Ecto.

I have been doing the Exercism Elixir track. It’s good, but I am not sure if I will complete it. I am learning, but I am not that crazy about the use cases.

I am thinking of getting Red4 and I like what I see in Elixir in Action (anyone know why the Manning books are more expensive than the PragProg ones?).

I am feeling a little lost between the resources that are mostly syntax based and the ones (not enough of them) that are practical based. I prefer the latter.

My ultimate goal with Elixir is to write OTP Big Data apps (and/or encourage the community to do so) that rival those on the JVM like Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, etc. Also, I think we should take aim at Golang and see if Elixir/Erlang + BEAM is suited to their sweet spot of network services apps.

5 Likes

A few chapters into Introducing Elixir book. For someone new to programming, I’m able to follow along quite nicely.

1 Like

I :heart: redfour tutorial. It is really fun and entertaining. It has videos, code examples and try guide you by hand through wonderful land of Elixir :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Ruby / Elixir connection

For the record: I’m not on meth! But I’m thick skinned too. For what it’s worth, I’m doing streaming of the same content at http://dailydrip.com and teaching Elm now too.

11 Likes

Haha love it

1 Like

I started with Programming Elixir 1.2, jumped to Learning Elixir as I like seeing two points of view for learning. Once I finish Learning Elixir, I am moving to Programming Phoenix, and then Elixir In Action. Long road but I am enjoying it so far!

I may give Red:4 a try, it looks fun.

After I finish a few projects I plan on returning to Programming Elixir 1.2 to finish it up, its a beastly book.

2 Likes

I started off with Programming Elixir and by reading the Elixir docs and various Elixir-related blog postings.

For me, there are two things that are very effective for learning: doing and teaching. Doing means that I experiment with Elixir by writing code. This is very simple at first and expands in size as I progress. Teaching means that I explain Elixir to others. In my case, I decided to write about it in a series that I call “Learn with Me: Elixir”. I write about Elixir as I learn it and anyone else who is also interested in learning can follow along with me. If anyone is interested, you can find it at https://inquisitivedeveloper.com/.

Just writing about Elixir has taught me a great deal and has helped me to remember things.

4 Likes