hauleth

hauleth

Some time ago someone suggested me to write article about how I have configured my Vim to work with Elixir, now there it is:

https://medium.com/@hauleth/dumb-elixir-visual-and-improved-editor-53c23a0800e4

Comments are welcome.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

runexec

runexec

Any reason why you don’t use Vim hotkeys on Spacemacs?

hauleth

hauleth OP

Remember, kids… Pandajail is where pandas are sent when you use someone else’s dotfiles .

Spacemacs is just set of dotfiles that is created by other people. Your configuration should be yours and yours only. So in general you can count me as a human that do not like neither Spacemacs nor SpaceVim.

This is one of the reason. Another reason is that I started using Vim years ago (~7 I think) and it just fitted me and I do not see any reason to change it.

mythicalprogrammer

mythicalprogrammer

Looks awesome, I think I’ll be using some of these plugins for my vim setup. The running repo sql one will fit nicely into my dev workflow.

Do you have an article on tmux too? I use tmux and vim.

hauleth

hauleth OP

I do not use TMux since I moved all my “multiplexing” into NeoVim terminals.

pedromcorreia

pedromcorreia

You could use this generator https://vim-bootstrap.com/.
Remove plugins that you think that is useful

hauleth

hauleth OP

This one very much suits into rule:

Do not use other people’s dotfiles.

I just generated one and it is so much full of clutter that I cannot even. The minimal configuration for Vim and NeoVim for Elixir:

git clone https://github.com/elixir-editors/vim-elixir ~/.local/share/pack/elixir/start/elixir
touch ~/.config/nvim/init.vim
cat ~/.vimrc <<EOF
let s:config_dir = exists('$XDG_CONFIG_DIR') ? $XDG_CONFIG_DIR : $HOME . '/.config'
let s:data_dir = exists('$XDG_DATA_HOME') ? $XDG_DATA_HOME : $HOME . '/.local/share'

exec 'set runtimepath^='.s:config_dir.'/nvim,'.s:data_dir.'/nvim/site'
exec 'set packpath^='.s:data_dir.'/nvim/site'

syntax on
filetype plugin indent on

set laststatus=2
set wildmenu

runtime init.vim
EOF

And everything is there. Anything more should be added only if you know what you are doing.

jdumont

jdumont

Just wanted to say thank you. I’ll be digging into this more over the next few days. I recently tried to spruce up my Vim config and get a better workflow going as I realised that I was doing a lot of tasks very mechanically or have got stuck in a rut doing things a certain way that’s less than optimal.

I had a look around for some direction but didn’t find much Elixir specific advice, so your post is very timely and very welcome!

joaothallis

joaothallis

Do you use something to search and replace of multiple files (in a folder or project for example)?

I’m using ag with fzf for searches

hauleth

hauleth OP

I am using Ripgrep with QuickFix window for searching, and in case of project-wide replace I use plugin enmasse. Alternatively I use my own sad.vim.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Here’s a divisive question: which plugin management system do you guys prefer?

I honestly can’t care less about “minimal” or “allows you to do anything”. I just want to get in a plugin UI, say “install X and Y” or “delete Z” or “upgrade all with their newest versions” and peace out.

Which one is best suited for such a use case?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Guides/Tuts Top

rogach
I’ve spent some time understanding how to do hot code reloading with releases built using mix release, and here I’d like to detail the st...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews