idi527

idi527

I’ve been re-reading swift book again and noticed that multiline strings there don’t have a trailing line break, unlike in elixir

iex(2)> """
...(2)> asdf
...(2)> """
"asdf\n"

I wonder how I would create a multiline string without a trailing line break with elixir.

In swift I can add a line break by adding a newline

let lineBreaks = """
 
This string starts with a line break.
It also ends with a line break.
 
"""

which is the same as

line_breaks = """

This string starts with a line break.
It also ends with a line break.
"""

in elixir.

I feel like swift’s way is a bit more consistent and gives freedom to chose how to end the string.

Is there a reason for elixir’s multiline string to be different? I see only one advantage to this approach:

ab = """
a
b
"""

c = """
c
"""

ab <> c == """
a
b
c
"""

In swift it would be

"""
a
bc
"""

but can be fixed by adding a new line at the end of ab.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

"""
Foo"""

# or even

"""Foo"""

I prefer the elixir behaviour over the swift one, as elixir complies with POSIX that text files should always end in a newline.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Uh, if Elixir worked that way I’d be fine with it, but it doesn’t, and based on the way Elixir’s does work I’d prefer Swift’s way as well:

╰─➤  iex
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:6:6] [ds:6:6:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Interactive Elixir (1.6.1) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> """
...(1)> Foo"""
** (SyntaxError) iex:2: invalid location for heredoc terminator, please escape token or move it to its own line: """

iex(1)> """Foo"""
** (SyntaxError) iex:1: heredoc start must be followed by a new line after """

the heck forum syntax coloring borked ^.^;

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe
iex(7)> """
...(7)> foo\
...(7)> """
"foo"
18
Post #3
NobbZ

NobbZ

Hmmm? Did they remove this syntax? I think I used it in some old code… Perhaps I’m misremembering things though…

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I remember a PR about strengthening the messages when it was mis-used, but I don’t actually remember if it was valid at one point or not? I’m kind of thinking it was too, but that could easily be another language I’m thinking about. ^.^;

thbar

thbar

In case someone stumbles on this thread: the “\” at the end to avoid newline still appears to work with recent versions of Elixir.

iex(1)> """
...(1)> foo\
...(1)> """
"foo"
iex(2)> """
...(2)> foo
...(2)> """
"foo\n"
adamu

adamu

"""
foo
"""
|> String.trim_trailing("\n")

Is clearer than mysterious backslashes IMO :slight_smile:

It’s subtly different though, because it will trim all trailing newlines, not just a single character.

If you only want to remove the last newline:

|> String.replace_suffix("\n", "")
przemyxe0p

przemyxe0p

I was looking for this in documentation, and did not found information about, seems like important thing “how to not end string with line break when using multi-line string”. Did you find it in documentation?
@OvermindDL1 @thbar @benwilson512 @NobbZ sorry for call outs, but I don’t know if you will see this message

adamu

adamu

You could open a PR to propose it, if you think it’s worthwhile. Maybe here:

Strings

przemyxe0p

przemyxe0p

Thanks, will do :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews