rm-rf-etc

rm-rf-etc

I’m not much of a hardware buff, so please excuse my ignorance.

Let’s say I want to build a machine to maximize the performance of some arbitrary elixir service that I’ve built; does it make sense to simply add more cores to scale up the amount of concurrent processes my elixir-based service can parallelize? Does it scale linearly? How should I go about determining the optimum number of cores for my project?

Let’s say, for example, that I have somewhere between 10 and 30 genserver instances subscribed to some external service via websocket (each having its own dedicated websocket), and then I also have some additional processes for my frontend and things like the supervisor. And this is just an arbitrary example for the sake of discussion.

Thanks

Showing Posts 3 to 1

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The “getting to 1M websockets” stuff is 1000% worth reading / watching, but the big takeaway from that work is pretty simple: the way you figure out these things is to MEASURE.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

In a normal high-performance language like Rust I’d say look for some parity between CPU cores and memory channels. F.ex. having 10 CPU cores (20 threads) and a 4-channel memory can make the machine not use its full potential in very memory-intensive apps – of which there aren’t that many, to be fair.

With a language like Elixir though you could easily have a 64-core CPU even with 4-channel memory (like the Threadripper 3990X) because Elixir is not a high-performance language and you’d likely want Elixir for I/O bound workflows because its green-thread preemptive concurrency model will net you insane benefits.

So if you want to focus on Elixir then you can get a lot of cores even if they are a bit slower.

Exadra37

Exadra37

Maybe reading this article will help:

If you have been paying attention on Twitter recently, you have likely seen some increasing numbers regarding the number of simultaneous connections the Phoenix web framework can handle. This post documents some of the techniques used to perform the benchmarks.

or maybe you prefer to see this conference talk about it:

Both of them will give you more insights into what you are trying to understand, but will not give you a formula :wink:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews