MatijaL
Hello,
I’m building a small app for learning purposes where I have users and those users can create projects. Projects can have different statuses and when the project status changes, embeded meta field is updated. Projects can also have multiple users so in the meta field I save who updated the project status.
# projects.ex
def update_project(%User{} = user, %Project{} = project, %{"status" => status} = attrs) do
attrs = prepare_status_attrs(user, project, attrs)
changeset = Ecto.Changeset.change(project)
Repo.update(changeset)
end
defp prepare_status_attrs(%User{} = user, %Project{} = project, attrs) do
cond do
attrs["status"] == "draft" ->
Map.put_new(attrs, "meta", %{"created_by" => user.id, "created_at" => NaiveDateTime.utc_now()})
# other
attrs["status"] == "active" ->
Map.put_new(attrs, "meta", %{"activated_by" => user.id, "activated_at" => NaiveDateTime.utc_now()})
# other
attrs["status"] == "deleted" ->
Map.put_new(attrs, "meta", %{"deleted_by" => user.id, "deleted_at" => NaiveDateTime.utc_now()})
# other
end
end
# meta_embed.ex
embedded_schema do
field :created_at, :naive_datetime
field :created_by, :string
field :activated_at, :naive_datetime
field :activated_by, :string
field :deleted_at, :naive_datetime
field :deleted_by, :string
# other fields
end
def changeset(%MetaEmbed{} = meta, attrs) do
meta
|> cast(attrs, [:created_at, :created_by, :activated_at, :activated_by, :deleted_at, :deleted_by])
end
The code above is a little bit simplified but what I have is a function that prepares the attrs in my projects.ex file before it goes to changeset and there are no changeset validations. The reason why I’m doing it is simply because here I have access to the user data etc. Is this a good practice or should I change the logic, pass all the user data to changeset and then do all the validations with changeset?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex









