billylanchantin

billylanchantin

I have a dataset with categorical variables, e.g.:

alias Explorer.DataFrame, as: DF

df = DF.new(%{
  age: [1, 5, 3],
  animal: ["dog", "cat", "dog"],       # categorical
  color: ["brown", "black", "brindle"] # categorical
})

I currently have the variables one-hot encoded:

df_one_hot = DF.new(%{
  age: [1, 5, 3],
  animal_cat_1_of_2: [1, 0, 1], # animal == "dog"
  animal_cat_2_of_2: [0, 1, 0], # animal == "cat"
  color_cat_1_of_3: [1, 0, 0], # color == "brown"
  color_cat_2_of_3: [0, 1, 0], # color == "black"
  color_cat_3_of_3: [0, 0, 1], # color == "brindle"
})

Neural nets generally do well with that encoding. Tree-based models, however, may benefit from the original encoding or ordinal encoding. So while experimenting with different models, I found myself needing to undo the one-hot encoding.

I came up with a solution which I’ll post below. But I wanted to see how others would approach the problem. This is a somewhat computationally-intensive operation, and I worry that I’m not taking full advantage of Explorer. In particular, this looked like it may be a job for across, but I couldn’t make it work.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

billylanchantin

billylanchantin OP

My approach for converting to an ordinal encoding:

require DF

# Build up a map of %{original_col => %{category_col => category_num}}
categorical_cols =
  df_one_hot.names
  |> Enum.map(&Regex.run(~r/(.+)_cat_(\d+)_of_\d+/, &1))
  |> Enum.reject(&is_nil/1)
  |> Enum.group_by(
    fn [_, group, _] ->
      group
    end,
    fn [col, _, num_string] ->
      {num, _} = Integer.parse(num_string)
      {col, num}
    end
  )
  |> Map.new(fn {group, col_num_pairs} -> {group, Map.new(col_num_pairs)} end)

# Ordinal encode the data by repeatedly adding `num * col` to a column of all 0s.
df_ordinal =
  Enum.reduce(categorical_cols, df_one_hot, fn {group, col_to_num}, outer ->
    col_to_num
    |> Enum.reduce(DF.put(outer, group, [0]), fn {col_name, num}, inner ->
      DF.mutate(inner, [{^group, col(^group) + col(^col_name) * ^num}])
    end)
    |> DF.discard(Map.keys(col_to_num))
  end)
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

If you can hardcode the fields, then you can do:

require Explorer.DataFrame, as: DF

DF.mutate(df_one_hot,
  animal: cond do
    animal_cat_1_of_2 == 1 -> "dog"
    animal_cat_2_of_2 == 1 -> "cat"
  end,
  color: cond do
    color_cat_1_of_3 == 1 -> "brown"
    color_cat_2_of_3 == 1 -> "black"
    color_cat_3_of_3 == 1 -> "brindle"
  end
)

If you cannot, then you can port your approach to mutate_with. mutate_with gives you access to the columns and allow you to dynamically build a query based on the field. Then use Series.select to build the cond. Scroll down to find the answer (I added some padding in case you want to try it out by yourself before seeing the solution):


















categorical_cols =
  df_one_hot.names
  |> Enum.map(&Regex.run(~r/(.+)_cat_(\d+)_of_\d+/, &1))
  |> Enum.reject(&is_nil/1)
  |> Enum.group_by(
    fn [_, group, _] -> group end,
    fn [col, _, num] -> {col, String.to_integer(num)} end
  )
  |> Map.new(fn {group, col_num_pairs} -> {group, col_num_pairs} end)

DF.mutate_with(df_one_hot, fn df ->
  Enum.map(categorical_cols, fn {group, col_to_num} ->
    expr = Enum.reduce(col_to_num, -1, fn {col_name, num}, acc ->
      equal = Explorer.Series.equal(df[col_name], 1)
      Explorer.Series.select(equal, num, acc)
    end)

    {group, expr}
  end)
end)
billylanchantin

billylanchantin OP

Thanks! That made a huge improvement.

Quick benchmark on a subset of the data (cols: 203, rows: 65,917):

{billy_us, billy_df} = :timer.tc(fn ->
  # ...
end)

{jose_us, jose_df} = :timer.tc(fn ->
  # ...
  |> DF.discard(#... to make the comparison fair
end)

billy_df.names == jose_df.names  #=> true
[billy: billy_us, jose: jose_us] #=> [billy: 26438, jose: 4680]

What’s more, your solution works on lazy frames. I needed to call DF.collect my dataframe first.

This particular dataset had ~80 columns one-hot columns. Hardcoding is do-able, but I’d prefer to avoid it if possible.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews