sadjow
Reading the guides at this point http://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/keywords-and-maps.html#nested-data-structures We have an example that we can modify a specific data in a map using the put_in/2.
I’m curious how Elixir makes this work:
iex> users = [
john: %{name: "John", age: 27, languages: ["Erlang", "Ruby", "Elixir"]},
mary: %{name: "Mary", age: 29, languages: ["Elixir", "F#", "Clojure"]}
]
[john: %{age: 27, languages: ["Erlang", "Ruby", "Elixir"], name: "John"},
mary: %{age: 29, languages: ["Elixir", "F#", "Clojure"], name: "Mary"}]
iex> users = put_in users[:john].age, 31
[john: %{age: 31, languages: ["Erlang", "Ruby", "Elixir"], name: "John"},
mary: %{age: 29, languages: ["Elixir", "F#", "Clojure"], name: "Mary"}]
How Elixir returns the whole map? If we do not pass it to the function?
Thanks in advance.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jmitchell
put_in/2is a macro, not a function. The arguments are passed unevaluated, and theput_in/2implementation operates on their syntactic representations instead. Since the first argument isusers[:john].age, the macro actually does have access tousers.NobbZ
Well,
put_in/2is not a function but a macro, so it can do any magic it wants with the AST of your first parameter before expanding itself.You can find the definiton on github: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/kernel.ex at main · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
sadjow
Thanks @jmitchell and @NobbZ ! Awesome. I’ll read more about the macros to understand how it works!
jmitchell
A good place to start is the Quote and unquote guide, and then the following section on macros. You may also find it helpful to study how the short-circuiting or AST macro works before trying to tackle
put_in/2. In particular, notice that the right side is only evaluated when the left side is falsy, whereas if||were a function all of its arguments would be evaluated before the function body.