rogerweb

rogerweb

Hi,

Scenario

I have a SQS queue with messages, each message is targeted to a specific user, each user joins his own Phoenix channel via websocket. I’m using Broadway to keep pulling the messages. In it’s handle_message/3 I use Phoenix’s broadcast/3 to push the message to the user:

Endpoint.broadcast("user:#{user_id}", "message", message)

I would like to make sure the user has received the message before I acknowledge it to Broadway/SQS.

Since the broadcast/3 doesn’t return the delivery result, I’m planning to make my JavaScript library to push an “ACK” back to the channel. I would include Broadway’s message_id in both messages.

The problem

How can I acknowledge the message to Broadway from the Phoenix’s channel handle_in/3?

As a side note, I started wondering if Broadway is the right tool for my use case, given the handle_message/3 documentation says:

Basically, any CPU bounded task that runs against a single message should be processed here.

but my task is more an I/O thing.

Any help is much appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yeah you probably want to do the broadcast in handle_batch because it would let you push a batch of messages from SQS to the end user, and then do a more efficient ACK back to SQS.

As far as getting the ACK from the client side, I think your only option is to block handle_batch until you get a message back from the client. Getting this ack back might be a bit tricky, perhaps you’ll have to have the broadway producer subscribe to an ack topic before pushing the messages out?

rogerweb

rogerweb OP

Yeah, I have no idea.

I was hoping Broadway could allow us to configure it to do not call handle_batch/4 automatically. Then I would call it myself once the last ACK arrives or times out.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews