mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hello, I have an .exs script with Mix.install in a repo and I’d like to include it in the docs. Putting it into extras throws an error that only markdown files are allowed. What’s the best way to include the script in the docs?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You’re trying to show the contents of the file in the docs? Would @moduledoc "#{File.read("script.exs")}" work?

christhekeele

christhekeele

AFAIK, while Earmark supports custom processing allowing you to do things like this, ExDoc does not.

I’d use @external_resource with @benwilson512’s approach to insert script code somewhere into module/function docs, or rework the script into a Livebook (which is publishable by ExDoc).

mat-hek

mat-hek OP

Membrane Core Team

Would @moduledoc “#{File.read(“script.exs”)}” work?

Yeah, thought about it, but to me it doesn’t really fit in the moduledoc.

I asked if exs could be supported, but apparently it cannot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so I’m going to just link to GitHub :wink:

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I’m sure you have your reasons but why the hard requirement to have it as an .exs? If it’s a sample file for people to run on their local machines, what’s wrong with putting it code fences in markdown? That way you get the copy-to-clipboard button and users can just paste into their editor.

mat-hek

mat-hek OP

Membrane Core Team

It’s not a hard requirement, it just feels right to me to have an exs script in an exs file. It’s not a big deal anyway :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews