shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello, I want to load a alias under my __using__, but with opts help like this:

defmacro __using__(opts) do
  quote(bind_quoted: [opts: opts]) do
    behaviour = Keyword.get(opts, :behaviour)
    alias behaviour
  end
end

It shows me invalid argument for alias, expected a compile time atom or alias, got: behaviour error, if I use alias unquote(behaviour), it shows me unquote called outside quote.

It should be noted, for @behaviour it works if I do like this, @behaviour behaviour but for alias doesn’t work.
How can I fix this? Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You‘ll need to pull out the module in the macro body and not in the quoted return. It needs to look like this:

alias unquote(module)

Anything where the alias macro doesn‘t receive the module name directly, but e.g. the ast of a variable won‘t work.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

To be honest, I did not understand, I know it doesn’t work even with unquote

this is whole my code:

defmacro __using__(opts) do
    quote(bind_quoted: [opts: opts]) do
      use GenServer, restart: :transient
      require Logger
      alias MishkaInstaller.{PluginState, Hook}
      module_selected = Keyword.get(opts, :module)
      initial_entry = Keyword.get(opts, :initial)
      behaviour = Keyword.get(opts, :behaviour)
      event = Keyword.get(opts, :event)

      @ref event
      alias unquote(behaviour) # doesn't work
      @behaviour behaviour

      # Start registering with Genserver and set this in application file of MishkaInstaller
      def start_link(_args) do
        GenServer.start_link(unquote(module_selected), %{id: "#{unquote(module_selected)}"}, name: unquote(module_selected))
      end

      def init(state) do
        {:ok, state, 300}
      end

      # This part helps us to wait for database and completing PubSub either
      def handle_info(:timeout, state) do
        if is_nil(Process.whereis(MishkaHtml.PubSub)) do
          {:noreply, state, 100}
        else
          unquote(module_selected).initial(unquote(initial_entry))
          {:noreply, state}
        end
      end
    end
  end

If I understand a little about what you said, I can not get module name from a list in using and pass it in alias ! Yes!?, so what is your suggestion in this code!!

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

One thing people usually have a hard time to grok is that macros only deal with AST – or “code”. Even if things look like a variable they don’t really represent the value assigned to the variable.

defmacro __using__(opts) do
  quote(bind_quoted: [opts: opts]) do
    behaviour = Keyword.get(opts, :behaviour)
    alias behaviour
  end
end

Doing this means alias (also a macro) will receive the AST for the behaviour variable (something like this: {:behaviour, [], Elixir}). So it has no idea what module it’s supposed to alias.

defmacro __using__(opts_ast) do
  behaviour = select_module_from_opts(opts_ast)
  quote do
    alias unquote(behaviour)
  end
end

This on the other hand pulls out the module out of the AST your macro received and creates AST (again a representation of code), where alias receives the module as an argument instead of a variable.

The tricky part here is select_module_from_opts, because again opts is AST not necessarily a plain value to consume. Some values represent themselves in AST – no difference between the AST and the value represented – so they’re rather easy to deal with (e.g. many keyword lists with simple values) , but others are not as simple, e.g. maps or anything containing other variables.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Thank you for your complete explanation. The subject is beyond my comprehension, and I’ve refrained from using alias. :rose:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews