Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

Hi everybody,

Edit for TL;DR:
How I can use SQL array_agg aggregate function with an Ecto fragment.
Particularly how I can nest the selects..

Let me start with some little explanations of my problem (because it might be irrelevant in real world use case..)

Say I have Posts and Users and I want to fetch all users and also all posts associated to each user.
The association I have is only defined in the Post schema with a belongs_to :user, User
So the following give me what I want but with the User duplicated in every row:

iex> Repo.all from p in Post,
         join: u in assoc(p, :user),
         select: {u.name, p.title}
[
  {"José", "Post 1"},
  {"José", "Post 2"},
  {"Joe", "Post A"},
  {"Joe", "post B"}
]

Now what I’m wanting is to get the following:

[
  {"José", ["Post 1", "Post 2"]},
  {"Joe", ["Post A", "Post B"]}
]

I can achieve this result using Enum.reduce with a Map.update in Elixir side:

Enum.reduce(map, %{}, fn {k, v}, acc -> Map.update(acc, k, [v], &[v|&1]) end)

All of the above are examples using select and ending with results having basic typed values (like strings here). And in fact name here is to be considered unique or maybe adding the id as a key, but the point here is that I can always achieve what I want in Elixir side.

And I also know that having has_many :post on the User Schema and then using preload could do the trick but only with having the elixir Structs. I mean I didn’t managed to use select as above to just grab the user name and the video title.

Note: I know that this question might seem to mix concerns like domain and views.
In real world scenario, I would have loaded the Structs and then grab according fields within a view, etc..
But I’m asking for learning purpose.

So I wanted to know if it’s somehow possible to achieve that using more elaborated SQL queries..
I tried many naive code combinations without success..
For example, I tried to use group_by: :user but then I got an error because of the lack of aggregating function.
Then I discovered array_agg aggregate function in SQL (and postgres). I guess I need to use it somehow with fragment but I don’t have any clue how to use it (besides simple example I saw in the documentation)?

So does anyone can give me some hints..

Showing Posts 1 to 3

hauleth

hauleth

from p in Post,
  join: u in assoc(p, :user),
  group_by: u.name,
  select: {u.name, fragment("array_agg(?)", p.title)}

You can clean it a little by using macro:

defmacro array_agg(field) do
  quote do: fragment("array_agg(?)", unquote(field))

from p in Post,
  join: u in assoc(p, :user),
  group_by: u.name,
  select: {u.name, array_agg(p.title)}

Or if you use many of such custom functions then I have created ecto_function which provides helper functions for defining such macros. So the above will be:

defqueryfunc array_agg(field)

from p in Post,
  join: u in assoc(p, :user),
  group_by: u.name,
  select: {u.name, array_agg(p.title)}
16
Post #1
Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai OP

Thanks for your clear answer. I appreciated how you gradually put things, finishing by presenting your package.

I took a look and it’s definitely a good idea!

rameramwe

rameramwe

Thank you very much! i was stuck for multiple hours on this :smiley:
You’re awesome!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews