jaimeiniesta

jaimeiniesta

I’m using sftp_ex to connect to an sFTP server, authenticating with my SSH key, and it works out of the box - provided the key is at .ssh/id_rsa and that .ssh/id_rsa.pub has been set up on the remote server.

But, I don’t know how to specify a different SSH key. For example if my key is at .ssh/custom_key how can I use this one?

Also, in my app I’m going to have the private key as an ENV variable, how can I use that instead of having the file at .ssh?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

easco

easco

The first thing that strikes my eye is that the documentation for SftpEx.connect says

Other available options can be found at ssh — OTP 29.0.2 (ssh 6.0.1)

If you look at that documentation then you can pass the type client_options(). client_options() in turn includes the type common_option() and common_option() include key_cb_common_option()

That is the “key callback” options and seems to let you specify a module that follows the ssh_client_key_api. As near as I can tell that means you have to create a module that has a method called user_key that accepts an algorithm specification (like RSA, DSA, etc) and returns the private key that corresponds to that.

You could create such a module. In the implementation of user_key you could take the value of the key in the environment variable and put it into the format recognized by Erlang’s :public_key module. In a recent case I had the key in pem format and I had to combine :public_key.pem_decode and :public_key.pem_entry_decode to extract a key from pem data. user_key would return that key.

Then you pass the name of that module to the SftpEx.connect function as [key_cb: YourModule]

Now… having said all that, I just got that by reading the docs… I haven’t actually tried it.

jaimeiniesta

jaimeiniesta OP

Thanks for your help @easco - for the record we found an easier solution, by using the user_dir option to specify an alternative directory where the id_rsa private key is stored in the server where we connect from.

We also found that when connecting it tried to write the known_hosts file in that directory, so you can either give this directory write permissions, or pre-populate it with this file so it doesn’t need to be updated.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For note, if you don’t want it to generate a known_hosts file then if you pass in the hosts public keys in the proper option (silently_accept_hosts or something like that) then it will only use those, but it will not accept any others either, which can be quite good for security.

jrissler

jrissler

In case anyone comes across this in the future - I spent a few minutes to figure this out, @easco’s solution works great - here’s how it looks:

Otherwise - followed his idea pretty closely. For brevity, didn’t post include error handling, but this is what it would look like: sftp_client/lib/sftp_client/key_provider.ex at 215ff5bcaeae6ebdd77c04d619c33a20c55eb12c · tlux/sftp_client · GitHub

thbar

thbar

Hi Jaime! By any chance, did you ultimately end up using an ENV variable successfully for this?

I would be potentially interested, to e.g. deal with read-only GitHub deploy keys.

Thanks!

jaimeiniesta

jaimeiniesta OP

Hey Thibaut!

No, we finally chose the user_dir option instead, see my reply on Feb '19 above :slight_smile:

GenericJam

GenericJam

Just to fill in a few more blanks here. If you use @jrissler 's gist you need to tie it into the rest of your code.

{:ok, conn} =
      SftpEx.connect(
        host: @host,
        user: @user,
        key_cb: App.KeyCb
    )

Also, bonus pro tip on SftpEx and the underlying Erlang code. You need to first open the connection which will create the file on the SFTP server and give you back a handle which you can then use as your file reference after that. Then you can stream, upload, download, etc. The docs for this lib are wrong as per my usage.

{:ok, handle} <- SftpEx.open(conn, "/" <> upload_destination)
stream = File.stream!("filename.txt")
    |> Stream.into(SftpEx.stream!(connection, handle))
    |> Stream.run
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews