amacgregor
Manager former developer looking to get back into the developer track, looking for advice on the following:
- Essentials to master when working with elixir
- Learning path to become productive as a developer
Essentially looking for the elixir equivalent of Backend Developer Roadmap: What is Backend Development
Thanks in advance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kanishka
Very quick, rough response:
concepts in exercism roadmap
ecto, phoenix, maybe absinthe
mix basics
AstonJ
Here are some options:
Make the most of all the Elixir Learning Resources > Books and Learning Resources > Courses we have
Go through things like Exercism (if you like #learning-questions-discussions:coding-challenges)
Create some projects in Elixir/Phoenix
Create some tools/packages in Elixir
And last but not least - be visible - blog, take part in the forum, etc. People generally hire people, and if your visible and a positive person I’m pretty sure you’ll have a better chance of getting hired over someone who isn’t
Good luck
NataliaCuriosum
Maybe this articles will help a little:
cjbottaro
I absolutely love the official Elixir getting started guide…
You can go through the whole thing in a day or two, and it kind of sets you up to answer “where to go from here.” Especially if you have previous experience as a programmer.
The biggest issue for me was learning to leverage OTP so I don’t reinvent any wheels.
There are TONS of tools to help manage processes. Once you get the basics, mastering GenServer, Task, and Task.Supervisor is the next step, imo.
Then understanding OTP applications. An application has configuration, can depend on one or more other applications, and can start one or more processes, etc.
KristerV
I recently went through TDD Phoenix and Testing LiveView and enjoyed it very much. I’d consider the latter to be a part of compulsory reading for newcomers. It walks you through both how and what to test, but also refactors tests to be readable in a very understandable pattern. German seems to have put a lot of effort into making it concise. I for one have trouble learning from books as they stretch out a sentence into a paragraph and this course was very efficient.
KevinGenus
Sep 2023 - Are there any updates any of you might add?
I’m in the same boat, made major life changes to work on some ideas I’ve sat with since the pandemic began and after taking time to get current with Javascript (Node/Express/React/ReactNative), Typescript, Go and Rust, I keep falling back to Elixir because we used Erlang when I worked at Verizon, the distributed system and messaging were incredible and I’d love to use that functionality… so I’m off to iterate and refactor from intermediate to mastery.
Snake-Sanders
I switched from Embedded C to Elixir. To me, Excercism was very attractive but the jump from 0 to something was very hard.
I bought some books but I got lost in the abundance of information.
Then I decided to purchase the Elixir and Phoenix courses from Pragmatic Studio, it was the best decision ever. It was great to get moving in a short period of time.