neenjaw

neenjaw

Hi,

I have a general question about building bitstring/binary data. I have been following some articles that look at parsing binary data, so I feel like I have some handle on matching a binary, and bringing parts to variables, but I am having some difficulty creating binary data from known data with non-binary types.

# this makes sense to me
iex> <<first::binary-size(1), rest::binary>> = "hello world"
"hello world"
iex> first                                                  
"h"

# This also makes sense
iex> first                                               
"h"
iex> rest                                                
"ello world"
iex> <<first::binary, rest::binary>>                   
"hello world"

# But how now do I encode the integer 1 as a 4-or-8-byte block into the bitstring
iex> n = 1024                          
1024
iex> <<first::binary, _______, rest::binary>>

What I would hope to find out, is there a way for me to perform this in that form, or is the only way to do it is to go about it the long way:

iex(48)> first                                               
"h"
iex(49)> rest                                                
"ello world"
iex> n = 1024
1024
iex> n_as_bin = 
...>   n 
...>   |> :binary.encode_unsigned(:big) 
...>   |> :binary.bin_to_list() 
...>   |> (fn b -> List.duplicate(0, 4-length(b)) ++ b end).() 
...>   |> :binary.list_to_bin
<<0, 0, 4, 0>>
iex> <<first::binary, n_as_bin::binary, rest::binary>>                                                                                                    
<<104, 0, 0, 4, 0, 101, 108, 108, 111, 32, 119, 111, 114, 108, 100>>

Thanks much in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ityonemo

ityonemo

I think you want this:

iex(1)> first = "h"
"h"
iex(2)> n = 1024
1024
iex(3)> rest = "ello"
"ello"

# specify the number of bits as your binary segment decorator
iex(4)> <<first::binary, n::32, rest::binary>>
<<104, 0, 0, 4, 0, 101, 108, 108, 111>>
iex(5)> <<first::binary, n::64, rest::binary>>
<<104, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 101, 108, 108, 111>>

# note that you can pattern match out of it too.
iex(6)> <<_first::binary-size(1), res::64, _rest::binary>> = v
<<104, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 101, 108, 108, 111>>
iex(7)> res
1024

You can also do ‘crazy things with bitbashing’, those numbers don’t have to be multiples of 8.

iex(9)> <<1::1, 2::4, 1::3>> 
<<145>>
neenjaw

neenjaw OP

That is exactly what I am looking for! I just couldn’t see the tree through the forest, thanks so much!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews