Raathmd

Raathmd

I have an api to a logistics system where customers of the transport company can create a quote for delivery of goods.
I will develop a web app, where the quote will start as a quote request saved in a postgres database. A UI function will allow submitting this request to multiple logistics systems to compare pricing. When the customer wants to create a quote they will submit to create a quote, which will return a quote number from the api if successful.

The quote has a From and To delivery address and quote items showing the quantity, description and dimensions for multiple products.

My questions:

  1. Is it recommended to model quote items as a resource and embed as a resource attribute of the quote resource ?
  2. As for the form, how does ash support managing these items in the UI?
  3. To make this a multitenant application, how can the logistics tenants manage their system api and credentials and their own auth policy?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

You can write an update or a generic action that will communicate with an external API using essentially regular Elixir code. You can definitely model the quote items as an embedded resource to store the results of those calls in the attributes etc.

You can do something like:

update :get_quote do
  change fn changeset, _ -> 
    Ash.Changeset.before_transaction(changeset, fn changeset -> 
      # make an external call and save the results in the changeset here.
    end)
  end
end 

or you could use a generic action

# perhaps you return the quote number. You can return whatever type you want here.
action :get_quote, :struct do
  constraints instance_of: Quote
  argument :quote_request_id, :uuid

  run fn input, _context -> 
    # lookup the quote
    # make an external call
    # update the quote
    # return {:ok, quote}
  end
end
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

AshPhoenix.Form supports managing nested forms/related data, and you can lookup the credentials for the organization/tenant before making your request.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews