herisson

herisson

Hi everyone,
I’ve been trying liveview for the past few days and I found it pretty straight forward when building simple pages.
However, I am now trying to build a SAAS-like dashboard but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to manage it with liveview.

IE:

As I see it there are two way to handle this:

  1. Using a layout dashboard.html.heex:
    This method would mean that for each time I click a tab, I render a new liveview. Reloading the entire layout? How would my layout know on which tab I currently am?

  2. Using a single liveview:
    This one would I think look similar to how phx.gen.live handle different views, but considering a large app with multiple tabs, would the file not contain too much ?

Maybe I am missing something. How would you guys build something like that ?
Thanks for the help!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

sbuttgereit

sbuttgereit

Have you looked at:

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_dashboard

It seems to be very similar to the kind of problem you’re trying to solve.

herisson

herisson OP

Yes I have but it seemed like an overcomplicate solution. Maybe it’s not and I have to look into it a bit more.
Anyway, thanks for the answer

GazeIntoTheAbyss

GazeIntoTheAbyss

The easiest method is given as default I believe.

Router Method

Router:

        live "/dashboard", DashboardLive.Index, :index
        live "/team", DashboardLive.Index, :home

DashboardLive.Index

--- Default Handle Params ---
  def handle_params(params, _, socket) do
    {:noreply,
     socket
     |> apply_action(socket.assigns.live_action, params)     
    }
  end

--- Actions Matching Your Router Atoms ---
  defp apply_action(socket, :index, params) do
    socket
    |> assign(:page_title, "Index")
  end

  defp apply_action(socket, :home, params) do
    socket
    |> assign(:page_title, "Home")
  end

Index.html.heex

<%= if @live_action in [:index] do %>
--- Content For Index ---
<% end %>

<%= if @live_action in [:home] do %>
--- Content For Homr ---
<% end %>

For the above, the apply_action values of :index and :home within the DashboardLive.Index file are paired with the paths in your Router.

live "/dashboard", DashboardLive.Index, :index

When you go to /dashboard you run:

  defp apply_action(socket, :index, params) do
    socket
    |> assign(:page_title, "Dashboard")
  end

The handle_params allows you to use <%= if @live_action in [:whatever] %> to display content specific to the Router path as it applies the action to the socket.

Non Router Method

If you want to display content without using different router paths, you can still do similar.

In your mount, assign a default value to the socket.

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do   
    socket = socket
      |> assign(:page, "dashboard")
    {:ok, socket}
  end

You can display any dashboard based content by using:

<%= if @page === "dashboard" do %>

<% end %>

To change the content, when a button is clicked you trigger a handle_event and update the socket value for page instead of changing path

Home button on the dash.

<.button type="button" phx-click="change content" phx-value-page="home" >
    <%= "Home Button %>
</.button>

Handle_Event to update the socket. The “page” => page will take your phx-value-page string value and assign it to the socket as :page. Effectively you are change :page from “dashboard” to “home”

  def handle_event("change conten", %{"page" => page}, socket) do
    {:noreply, socket |> assign(:page, page)}
  end

Once the socket has been updated the @page value will now be “home” so the original content being displayed as “dashboard” will be hidden, and the below will be displayed.

<%= if @page === "home" do %>

<% end %>

The handle_event may need something like patch to reload the content though, not sure how my example actually performs as I obviously didn’t test it.

I’m just a humble amateur :slight_smile: but I believe the Router method is prefered for full page loads, and the non Router method is more for showing/hiding things on the page or passing values around.

herisson

herisson OP

This was actually my first attended method however once the page grows, it becomes quite messy.
I’ll give it a try It might work !

GazeIntoTheAbyss

GazeIntoTheAbyss

Are you familiar with livecomponents yet? Disregard the below if so, but figured I’d share as I find it a neat way to deal with lots of pages and am currently working on a dashboard as well.

Livecomponents can make large projects much more manageble, allow you to create reuseable code blocks and can be nested within one another.

I don’t know if this is good/bad/common practice but its very neat and easy to follow if you have a lot of routes/paths in a dashboard set up. Rather than creating a wall of code in the Index, you create each page seperately as a component then just call upon it within the index.

<%= if @live_action in [:users] do %>
            <.live_component
              module={APPWeb.AdminUserComponent}
              id={"admin-user-component"}
              page_title={@page_title}
              action={@live_action}
              users={@users}
              pagination={@pagination}
            />
          <% end %>

          <%= if @live_action in [:edit_user] do %>
            <.live_component
              module={APPWeb.AdminUserEdit.FormComponent}
              id={"user-edit"}
              action={@live_action}
              user={@user}
            />
          <% end %>

        <!-- Groups -->

          <%= if @live_action in [:groups, :create_group, :edit_group] do %>
            <.live_component
              module={APPWeb.AdminGroupComponent}
              id={"admin-groups-component"}
              page_title={@page_title}
              action={@live_action}
              groups={@groups}
              pagination={@pagination}
            />

            <%= if @live_action in [:create_group] do %>
              <.live_component
                module={APPWeb.AdminGroupCreate.FormComponent}
                id={"admin-groups-create"}
                page_title={@page_title}
                action={@live_action}
                live_search={@live_search}
                admin={@admin}
                group={@group}
                groups={@groups}
                parent={@parent}
                selected_group={@selected_group}
                group_type={@group_type}
                group_tree={@group_tree}
                top_level_groups={@top_level_groups}
              />
            <% end %>

            <%= if @live_action in [:edit_group] do %>
              <.live_component
                module={APPWeb.AdminGroupEdit.FormComponent}
                id={"admin-groups-edit"}
                page_title={@page_title}
                action={@live_action}
                live_search={@live_search}
                admin={@admin}
                group={@group}
                groups={@groups}
                parent={@parent}
                group_type={@group_type}
                group_tree={@group_tree}
                selected_group={@selected_group}
                top_level_groups={@top_level_groups}
                patch={~p"/mod-zone/edit_group"}
              />
            <% end %>
          <% end %>
adw632

adw632

I would suggest reading Live Navigation docs.

You don’t need to make a complex multiheaded hydra liveview with different actions using live components. Given this creates additional complexities with data loading for the different action cases in the parent liveview I would recommend against this approach if you have vastly different data requirements between each live component.

Instead, where the data requirements are different you can use distinct routes within your live_session block in your router config with independent live views and just use <.link navigate={...}> from your navigation menu to switch between them. As per the documentation, it does not re-render the entire layout.

It looks like you are using Petal components. There may be some additional considerations with live navigation from their menu component as you want live navigation, not redirection with full page reload.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews