Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have some references in logs and I need to transform them from text to real references so I can compare then with ets references.

Logs and Code

I have some logs that print some errors in the form of:
"Unexpected message: {#Ref<0.427740394.3330539535.243656>,badarg}",

Now, I have some references I got from using table_ref = :ets.whereis :foo. I need to convert the reference I got from the log into something I can compare against table_ref to find out if table_ref is the same as log_ref.

Question

How can I do this?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

tty

tty

I suspect you are stuck with a string comparison. Convert table_ref to string and load the ref as a string from the logs and compare.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Already thought about that… didn’t work out as expected:

iex(12)> to_string(:ets.whereis IEx.Pry)
** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol String.Chars not implemented for #Reference<0.3188431698.1701707783.210630>
    (elixir) lib/string/chars.ex:3: String.Chars.impl_for!/1
    (elixir) lib/string/chars.ex:22: String.Chars.to_string/1

From what I understand, erlang has no way of converting references to strings, which is confusing because since they are written in the logs, there must be a way of doing so.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe
iex(1)> make_ref
#Reference<0.2681540578.631242754.45080>
iex(2)> ref("0.2681540578.631242754.45080")
#Reference<0.2681540578.631242754.45080>

The ref to string conversion is just inspect, and you can do a string to ref conversion via the iex helper ref/1

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

This ref function does’t seem to be available in the Kernel module. How do I use it in code ?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

It’s an IEX helper, so let’s go see how it works! elixir/lib/iex/lib/iex/helpers.ex at v1.8.2 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

So you can call string = "0.2681540578.631242754.45080"; :erlang.list_to_ref('#Ref<#{string}>')

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews