How to build elixir in (native) Windows

Anyone here know of any resources to help build Elixir natively (not in wsl) in Windows? I don’t know c/c++ toolchains well so am interested if there’s a recipe-style doc somewhere. I do have the repo locally and tried make compile. I didn’t really expect that to work in Windows and … indeed it didn’t.

For background - I mainly want this to be able to jump to the elixir standard library sources in my editor. It seems having a full local Elixir build is the only way to do this, but if there is another way I’m all ears.

1 Like

At the very least you’ll need a Visual Studio dev runtime installed if I remember correctly (not necessarily the entire Visual Studio itself) which is the equivalent of varous *-dev packages in Linux that contain header and object files.

2 Likes

This is afaik the most comprehensive listing of making a C NIF compile on windows:

Not sure how well it holds up for other NIFs besides comeonin ones though.

2 Likes

how to build Erlang on Windows may be of use. You’ll need the VS build tools and probably the Developer Command Prompt that it provides.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Of course it would involve installing Microsoft’s behemoth toolchain. I’ve done that before when necessary, but now I think about it for this purpose it seems like overkill. I think I’ll pursue the other route first (see if there’s a way to jump to the sources in the installed elixir package) and come back to this if need be. Cheers.