hst337
XY Notice
I know about macros, __before_compile__ and other attributes, compiler tracers and such stuff. The question is exactly about implementing wrapper for Elixir compiler which be compatible with Mix.Task.Compiler, nothing else.
The Question
How do I write the Mix.Task.Compiler which will do some global changes to the AST before calling Elixir’s compiler to generate .beam files.
Current solution
Right now my compiler
- Searches for
.exfiles in the path specified byMix.Project.config()[:elixirc_paths] - Calls
Code.string_to_quoted()on each file - Changes the AST
- Calls
Code.compile_quotedwithFile.write!()to the build_path of the binaries returned bycompile_quoted
Current solution drawbacks
- I think it is possible to compile straight to file (without
File.write!) - I think this kind of compilation does not call compiler tracers
- I think it can have some problems with protocol consolidation
- It needs to read/write elixir’s compiler manifest, which is some kind of a private structure.
- It is difficult to change the AST because modules can have compile-time code in their bodies, which I need to preevaluate, to change the code inside functions.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
Not possible. By design. We want to avoid anything that goes and globally changes code, without a trace. You can hand roll, as in your current solution, but it will have pitfalls such as losing incremental compilation.
I would suggest taking a step back and discuss what you want to solve and try to find a way that would be considered idiomatic Elixir.
Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for.
hst337
That’s sad to hear, but I kinda had a feeling that these limitations are intentional. I’ll think about other solutions then, thanks!