chrisdel101

chrisdel101

A few hours of work as not made it happen :frowning:. I need approach 1 (or similar) to work.

Note: I’m using the default LiveHelpers modal code.1

Approach 1

The modal should close on “save okay” only, so is handled after save in the handler. For now handle_event just tries to close. hide_modal runs but does not close the modal.

  def handle_event("save", %{"user" => user_params}, socket) do
    IO.inspect(user_params) # this runs
    save_user(socket, socket.assigns.action, user_params)
    MyApp.LiveHelpers.hide_modal() #default location of modal
    {:noreply, socket}
  end

# form where the save button is
  <.form
    let={f}
    for={@changeset}
    id="user-form"
    phx-target={@myself}
    phx-change="validate"
    phx-submit="save">
  
    <div>
      <%= submit "Save", phx_disable_with: "Saving..."%>
    </div>
  </.form>

# modal close function comes w/ Phoenix, and works elsewhere
  def hide_modal(js \\ %JS{}) do
    IO.puts("fired")
    js
    |> JS.hide(to: "#modal", transition: "fade-out")
    |> JS.hide(to: "#modal-content", transition: "fade-out-scale")
  end

IO.puts("fired") runs but the modal does not close.

Approach 2

Adding to the button does work but it closes on any click, even w/ a blank form, or w/ errors. This would work for a cancel button but not for save.

 <%= submit "Save", phx_disable_with: "Saving...", phx_click: MyApp.LiveHelpers.hide_modal()%>
  

I guess it’s something to do w/ the binding phx- events directly to the button render, or lack thereof. Since it’s conditional to “save okay” this blunt click binding will not suffice.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

andreaseriksson

andreaseriksson

If you navigate away, or patch the url so there is another live_action, this should happen automatically.

<.modal
  :if={@live_action in [:new, :edit]}
  id="task-modal"
  show
  on_cancel={JS.navigate(~p"/tasks")}
>
  <:title><%= @page_title %></:title>
  <.live_component
    module={MyAppWeb.TasksLive.FormComponent}
    id={@task.id || :new}
    title={@page_title}
    action={@live_action}
    task={@task}
    navigate={~p"/tasks"}
  />
</.modal>

But If you dont change url, or live_action,you can update it so instead of:

:if={@live_action in [:new, :edit]}

you can use set a show_modal in assigns and let that control it.

:if={@show_modal}

Otherwise, I usually go for a variant described here:

chrisdel101

chrisdel101 OP

The modal is already showing. The problem is I cannot close it.
Oh you are saying the navigate might work…

Default modal

def modal(assigns) do
    assigns = assign_new(assigns, :return_to, fn -> nil end)

    ~H"""
    <div id="modal" class="phx-modal fade-in" phx-remove={hide_modal()}>
      <div
        id="modal-content"
        class="phx-modal-content fade-in-scale"
        phx-click-away={JS.dispatch("click", to: "#close")}
        phx-window-keydown={JS.dispatch("click", to: "#close")}
        phx-key="escape"
      >
        <%= if @return_to do %>
          <%= live_patch "✖",
            to: @return_to,
            id: "close",
            class: "phx-modal-close",
            phx_click: hide_modal()
          %>
        <% else %>
          <a id="close" href="#" class="phx-modal-close" phx-click={hide_modal()}>✖</a>
        <% end %>

        <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
      </div>
    </div>
    """
  end
andreaseriksson

andreaseriksson

Yeah, in the example above, when leaving :new and going back to :index. the modal closes.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews