Rob1

Rob1

Edit: I solved this.

This post is how I solved this problem. It requires installing the extension “run on save” and setting it to run mix format.

I still have ElixirLS installed, the above solution doesn’t interfere with it.

My original post is below.


I’d like to format my code on save (using mix format) in VSCode, I saw that ElixirLS should have this functionality so I set it to do so by putting this in my settings.json:

"[elixir]": {
    "editor.defaultFormatter": "JakeBecker.elixir-ls"
    "editor.formatOnSave": true,
...

However, when I open another file in a project, it says the file “is not included in .formatter.exs” (it’s ElixirLS that shows that message) despite the fact that it has an exs file extension. For some other files format on save works, such as if I open the project_test.exs file change the formating and save it, it gets autoformated correctly.

The .formatter.exs reads:

# Used by "mix format"
[
  inputs: ["{mix,.formatter}.exs", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}"]
]

Which should catch this file. So I’m at a loss why the file is not being caught. For me it’s important to autoformat my files on save, for consistent formating.

Any ideas? I am on Windows 10.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install ElixirLS and set it to the default formater for Elixir files as per above.
2. mix new project
3. In the project directory, add an exs file
4. Open it in vscode.
5. When saved it shows this error.

Any ideas?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

lud

lud

Elixir LS is supposed to respect the .formatter.exs rules by now. But it does not always work for me either.

Since I run my tests all the time I just added mix format in front of my test command :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews