janp

janp

I am wondering whether it is possible to use distributed Erlang plus libcluster in kubernetes? :thinking:

I tried it with the following setup:

StatefulSet (with 3 replicas)

  • example@example-0.example-headless.default.svc.cluster.local
  • example@example-1.example-headless.default.svc.cluster.local
  • example@example-2.example-headless.default.svc.cluster.local

Cluster.Strategy.Kubernetes

  • kubernetes_ip_lookup_mode: :pods
  • mode: :hostname
  • kubernetes_namespace: default
  • kubernetes_selector: app=app
  • kubernetes_service_name: example-headless

config/runtime.exs

config :kernel,
  sync_nodes_optional: [
    :"example@example@example-0.app-headless.default.svc.cluster.local",
    :"example@example@example-1.app-headless.default.svc.cluster.local",
    :"example@example@example-2.app-headless.default.svc.cluster.local"
  ],
  sync_nodes_timeout: 5000

mix.exs

def releases do
  [
    example: [
     reboot_system_after_config: true,
     # ...
    ]
  ]
end

My problem with this setup is, that the nodes cannot connect to each other before starting the application, because their DNS records will only be available when the pods are Ready, which requires the readinessProbe (GET /health/readyz) to be successful, but the readyinessProbe already requires the application to be started :thinking:

So a chicken and egg problem, but maybe I am just doing something wrong :eyes:

Currently, when all pods are started after exceeding the sync_nodes_timeout, the application is running in a cluster, but I would like to have the nodes being connected with each other before the application gets started.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

I did not check it in Kubernetes, but my cloister does essentially this in AWS ECS.

The idea behind is simple: the library declares the application that connects nodes in its start_phase/3 callback.

You might do the same in your app’s start_phase/3 with libcluster, which would postpone application’s start/2 to return until the nodes are connected.

janp

janp OP

@mudasobwa Thanks for your answer, but I think I found the issue with my setup :slight_smile:


TLDR;

  • changed from Cluster.Strategy.Kubernetes to Cluster.Strategy.Kubernetes.DNSSRV
  • set publishNotReadyAddresses: true for the headless service
  • set podManagementPolicy: Parallel for the StatefulSet

$ kubectl explain service.spec.publishNotReadyAddresses
KIND:     Service
VERSION:  v1

FIELD:    publishNotReadyAddresses <boolean>

DESCRIPTION:
     publishNotReadyAddresses indicates that any agent which deals with
     endpoints for this Service should disregard any indications of
     ready/not-ready. The primary use case for setting this field is for a
     StatefulSet's Headless Service to propagate SRV DNS records for its Pods
     for the purpose of peer discovery. The Kubernetes controllers that generate
     Endpoints and EndpointSlice resources for Services interpret this to mean
     that all endpoints are considered "ready" even if the Pods themselves are
     not. Agents which consume only Kubernetes generated endpoints through the
     Endpoints or EndpointSlice resources can safely assume this behavior.

Setting publishNotReadyAddresses: true allows the pods to find each other via the headless-service before they are ready.

As mentioned in the explaination for the publishNotReadyAddresses option, I also switched from Cluster.Strategy.Kubernetes to Cluster.Strategy.Kubernetes.DNSSRV.

Additionally I set podManagementPolicy to Parallel which allows the StatefulSet to schedule all pods in parallel. The default is OrderedReady which requires one pod to be ready before Kubernetes schedules the next pod, so they are only started one after the other.


Now my application is clustered and started within 15 seconds :partying_face:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews