iamwil

iamwil

Hi all,

I’m a bit new to Ecto and Elixir. I got a question about connecting to a database.

I have a Phoenix project where I want to allow my user to connect to a database of their choosing. However, I’m not sure how to use Ecto to connect to the DB, unless it’s set in the configuration of the project and run when the server is started up.

When I have a second repo module

defmodule MyApp.SecondRepo do
  use Ecto.Repo, otp_app: :myapp
end

Elixir complains that it doesn’t have the right config to initialize this module. Can anyone point me to how to connect to a user-specified database after the Phoenix server has already been started up? Thanks.

Wil

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

Ecto does not allow dynamic configuration of the DB at runtime. Your only option is to directly use the DB-Adapter to go through connection and query.

Thats at least what I understand when reading github issue #1183

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

There are some configuration values that are required at compile-time. This is primarily the adapter - ecto inlines some functions in the repo, based on the adapter, in order to speed-up dome hot paths.

Most of the other configuration values can be passed to the repo’s start_link function (or as options in the supervisor).

There’s a list of compile-time options and runtime options in the documentation: https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Adapters.Postgres.html

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Can you tell us a bit more broadly what your end result should be? I mean, I suspect you may want to do multi-tenancy by connecting to multiple databases? If this is the case then Ecto has sort of different approach, by using namespaces/prefixes rather than connecting to multiple databases.

andre1sk

andre1sk

Do you know the list of DBs upfront ? then you can setup a repo per DB

iamwil

iamwil OP

I’m making an SQL query builder, so a user would have to be able to connect to a database at runtime.

Thanks for the tip about the adapter. Looking through the code for the Postgres adapter, I found that it used Postgrex. I was able to use Postgrex directly to connect to the database.

{ :ok, pid } = Postgrex.start_link(hostname: "localhost", username: "admin", password: "", database: "my_db")
    result = Postgrex.query!(pid, "select * from some_table limit 1", [])

For now, I’m just going to use it directly in a controller method. However, I imagine that one might need to create an application with a connection pool open if there are lots of queries?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Pretty sure all of that stuff could be passed into the Repo start link function as @micmus mentioned btw.

iamwil

iamwil OP

Sorry, I’m new to elixir and all this. I can see that start_link is used in the lib/myapp.ex. But I’m not sure exactly how to use Ecto.Adapters.Postgres, since there’s no function documentation in the link.

I’m inferring that the Ecto.Adapters.Postgres can be run as a child supervisor to the application. However:

  • I don’t know how to change the runtime options outside of lib/myapp.ex.
  • And if I inserted a Repo with bad connection login, it surfaces errors on startup.
  • And if I run start_link after startup, how do I find the correct child supervisor to remove the link?

I think I just don’t have enough background to make sense of the answer right now. Are there resources you can point me to, or give some examples? Thanks.

sailias

sailias

I have created a simple app to handle this situation.

https://github.com/voxpoplabs/multi_postgrex

I find that it is useful for multi-tenancy where each organization can have their own database. There is a little dev ops to setup a new database, but it makes querying really simple as all data is isolated.

joefractal

joefractal

I’m an elixir newb. However, hard coding db connection credentials (password), in a file that I want to source control just seems wrong. If I want to get credentials from a local/trusted service at startup, how would I go about that?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This is the purpose of the init callback in your repo.Ecto.Repo — Ecto v3.14.0 You can have an init function that basically is

def init(_, config) do
  values = # code to go lookup values from service
  {:ok, Keyword.merge(values, config)}
end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews