leifericf

leifericf

I think it could be useful to gather some of our communal thoughts and notes on how to contribute to open source Elixir projects. Including dos and don’ts, common practices, etc.

This could serve as a starting point for people who are new to Elixir and perhaps even to programming in general. How can we help our new friends to hit the ground running?

We could include general things, such as:

  • Cloning a development version of a library from GitHub.
  • Testing one’s changes before submitting a pull request.
  • “Squashing” commits before submitting a pull request.
  • Submitting a pull request to open source projects.

Those topics, which are not specific to Elixir, might be covered elsewhere. If so, then maybe we can reference other sources and/or create an index of useful resources.

There might also be some Elixir-specific aspects, such as:

  • Including a development version of a library in an applicatoin for testing.
  • Best practices when it comes to implementing tests.
  • Steps to take before submitting a pull request, e.g. running tests, code formatter, etc.

Those are just some suggestions to get the conversation going.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Do you have any suggestions?

Such things may of course vary a great deal from project to project, depending on how the particular project is set up, but perhaps there are some basics things most of them have in common.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

This is Avery interesting topic. Please checkout this thread:

You can check this excellent post on this issue:

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

kelvinst

kelvinst

Heeey. I have being doing livestreams while contributing to elixir open-source projects, so maybe useful for you:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews