bgpratt2000

bgpratt2000

Hi!

My goal is to convert the Date struct to an easily-readable string version of that date.

For example:

~D[2000-01-15] would be converted to “January 15th, 2024”.

Does anyone know of a function or library that already does this?

Thanks!!!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

The function you’re looking for is this one: Calendar.strftime/3

That will let you pass in the date and then a format string in which you can specify things like the full name of the month, date, etc.

bgpratt2000

bgpratt2000 OP

Suggestions on how to format the day of the month as an ordinal number?

Ex: August 1 as August 1st, August 2 as August 2nd, etc.

ibarch

ibarch

It could be implemented somewhere in Cldr.Calendars or Cldr.Numbers. If it isn’t, or if you’re not willing to add an extra dependency, writing your own implementation is straightforward:

def ending(day) when day in [1, 21, 31], do: "st"
def ending(day) when day in [2, 22], do: "nd"
def ending(day) when day in [3, 23], do: "rd"
def ending(_), do: "th"
ibarch

ibarch

I’ve just realized that the version of this function without function overloading would look a bit cleaner. However, I miss this killer feature of Elixir so much when programming in other languages that I sometimes find myself overusing it. :smile:

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Nah :slight_smile: The below is the real overusing of Elixir killer features:

defmodule DayEnding do
  Enum.each(1..31, fn
    day when div(day, 10) == 1 -> def ending(unquote(day)), do: "th"
    day when rem(day, 10) == 1 -> def ending(unquote(day)), do: "st"
    day when rem(day, 10) == 2 -> def ending(unquote(day)), do: "nd"
    day when rem(day, 10) == 3 -> def ending(unquote(day)), do: "rd"
    day -> def ending(unquote(day)), do: "th"
  end)
end
kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

ex_cldr_numbers can format ordinals, but CLDR does not maintain any date formats that include ordinal numbers.

iex> Cldr.Number.to_string 1, format: :ordinal
{:ok, "1st"}
iex> Cldr.Number.to_string 1, format: :ordinal, locale: :es
{:ok, "1.º"}
iex> Cldr.Number.to_string 1, format: :ordinal, locale: :zh
{:ok, "第1"}
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews