Papillon6814
Hello. I’m working on running python file by elixir.
The python file returns dict, and elixir parses it as map. But its keys are charlists like this:
%{'graph' => {:"$erlport.opaque", :python, <<128, 2, 99, 110, 101, 111, 52, 106, 46, 103, 114, 97, 112, 104, 10, 71, 114, 97, 112, 104, 10, 113, 0, 41, 129, 113, 1, 125, 113, 2, 40, 88, 6, 0, 0, 0, 95, 110, 111, 100, 101, 115, 113, 3, 125, 113, ...>>}, 'id' => 7, 'labels' => ...
I have never seen a map which has charlist keys, so I’d like to convert the key to string, but I don’t still find a good way to do it. Do you have an idea for it? Thank you ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hst337
What library do use for interactions with Python? I think it might have an option to return binaries instead of charlists
But until then you can just
charlist = 'abc'; string = "#{charlist}"or useto_string. To traverse maps, you can useMap.new()So, to convert one map, you should write something like
BartOtten
Post removed. @hst337 was faster
Papillon6814
Thank you! I converted it to string by
to_string()!adamu
This code is pretty defensive. I’d probably do:
And let
List.to_string/1handle the edge-cases.hst337
Oh, I’ve just found out that Python can’t have lists as dict keys by default. But there can still be tweaks, so extra handling is never killed anyone
BartOtten
The “Let is crash” philosophy is supposed to keep us from (premature) defensive code, as less code has advantages (less code, less bugs etc).
I would say the shorter code of @adamu is better in this case.
Sebb
Can you tell us what you’ve used?
hst337
erlportbut it was a long time ago and I can’t remember anything about the library today