sezaru

sezaru

My model expects multiple named inputs, that means that I need to pass the data as a map with each input name like this:

inputs = %{
  "hours_per_week" => Nx.tensor([1, 1]),
  "capital_loss" => Nx.tensor([1, 1]),
  ...
}

predict_fn.(params, inputs)

If I have an Explorer.DataFrame I can achieve the same using DataFrame.to_columns(df). The problem with this is that it is an expensive operation if the dataframe is big.

Another issue is that I want to batch the inputs to send to the trainer loop. Normally I think I would be able to use Nx.to_batched to do the job, but that function seems to only work with a single input, not multiple.

So, how can I create a batched input for my trainer loop from my data frames that is also lazy so I don’t need to have the full data in memory all the time?

Here is what I was able to make that works, but it will generate all the batches in memory which will give me a OOM depending on the dataset size:

create_batches = fn features, target, batches ->
  features_batches =
    features
    |> DF.to_columns()
    |> Enum.map(fn {key, values} ->
      values
      |> Nx.tensor()
      |> Nx.to_batched(batches)
      |> Enum.to_list()
      |> Enum.map(fn tensors -> {key, tensors} end)
    end)
    |> Enum.zip()
    |> Enum.map(fn batch -> batch |> Tuple.to_list() |> Map.new() end)

  target_batches =
    target
    |> DF.to_series(atom_keys: true)
    |> Map.fetch!(:income_bracket)
    |> Series.to_tensor()
    |> Nx.new_axis(-1)
    |> Nx.to_batched(batches)
    |> Enum.to_list()

  Enum.zip(features_batches, target_batches)
end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews