shifters98

shifters98

My Google-Fu has failed me and i am stuck if any one can help

I am trying to create a custom ssh shell in elixir using the erlang :ssh library so that i can ssh into my application with a restricted set of options/commands available. I can log in successfully (using passwords is fine for this use) but at that point i can not send anything to the client or receive anything from the client (at least i can not work out how).

I have read the erlang ssh library document and looked at an example library (esshd) but the information i need is not clear and the library does not work for me (and no dev help). Please see attached example code.

def init(_opts) do
      Logger.info("--> Starting Communications.SSHD process")

      # start the erlang library
      :ssh.start()
      # config the server
      {ok, sshd2} = :ssh.daemon(10022, 
                              shell: &on_shell/2,
                              system_dir: './priv/daemon', 
                              user_passwords: [{'test', 'testpass'}], 
                              user_dir: './') 

      # link the ssh daemon pid to ourselves
      Process.link sshd2

      {:ok, []}
    end

    def on_shell(username, {ip, port} = peer_address) do
      Logger.info("Onshell Called")
      # spawn a thread to handle the shell
      spawn(__MODULE__, handle_shell, [])
    end

    # handle the shell commands
    def handle_shell() do
      Logger.info("Shell staretd #{inspect Process.group_leader}")
      _ = :io.setopts(Process.group_leader, binary: true, encoding: :unicode)  

      # this never appears on client or server console

      IO.puts "Interactive example SSH shell - type exit ENTER to quit"
    end

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Showing Posts 1 to 6

l00ker

l00ker

Go to hex.pm and search for “ssh” and have a look at all the various packages. Maybe one of them already does what you want or something very similar.

shifters98

shifters98 OP

Yes i have already tried that by looking at esshd and ssh_echo but can’t work out why its not working. I can connect, auth and see the shell started but have no idea how to read from or write to the ssh socket connection for the connected client. Following what the above libraries have done does not seem to work!

bjm

bjm

Hi, Did you ever make any progress with this.
Regards,
Brian

shifters98

shifters98 OP

HI Brian,

sorry - no progress - i gave up in the end

Shifters

joaohf

joaohf

Hello,

I’ve implemented (in erlang) a custom ssh shell:

https://github.com/joaohf/elock/blob/mignon-21/src/elock_ssh_oob.erl
https://github.com/joaohf/elock/blob/mignon-21/src/elock_ssh_cli.erl

Based on:

https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/lib/ssh/examples/ssh_sample_cli.erl

I also wrote a post (in pt_BR) related to it https://beam-mignon.netlify.app/posts/mignon_21/

Is that what you were looking for ?

shifters98

shifters98 OP

Thanks for sharing that - i will look into your code in more detail when i revisit my project

cheers

shifters

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews