saleyn

saleyn

How can I create a macro that defines a type using atom that represents the type name? In the macro __type__ below, for the visibility argument :private, I’d like the macro to emit:
@typep t() :: { ... }

def visibility(:public),  do: :type
def visibility(:private), do: :typep
def visibility(:opaque),  do: :opaque

defmacro __type__(types, visibility) do
  attr = visibility(visibility)
  quote bind_quoted: [attr: attr, types: types] do
    Module.put_attribute(__MODULE__, unquote(attr), t() :: {unquote_splicing(types)}
  end
end

Compilation fails with:

== Compilation error in file test/type_test.exs ==
** (CompileError) test/type_test.exs:49: misplaced operator ::/2

The :: operator is typically used in bitstrings to specify types and sizes of segments:

    <<size::32-integer, letter::utf8, rest::binary>>

It is also used in typespecs, such as @type and @spec, to describe inputs and outputs
    ... expanding macro: Mod.__type__/2

Showing Posts 1 to 8

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

You want to emit the actual type notation, something like this:

@unquote(attr)(t() :: {unquote_splicing(types)})
saleyn

saleyn OP

defmacro __type__(types, visibility) do
  attr = Mod.visibility(visibility)
  quote bind_quoted: [attr: attr, types: types] do
    @unquote(attr)(t() :: {unquote_splicing(types)})
  end
end

For this invocation I get:

== Compilation error in file test/type_test.exs ==
** (CompileError) test/type_test.exs:79: unquote called outside quote
    (elixir 1.13.2) expanding macro: Kernel.@/1
ityonemo

ityonemo

You can’t mix bind_quoted with unquoutes.

saleyn

saleyn OP

How would you rewrite the above to keep the compiler happy?

Eiji

Eiji

Here you go:

defmodule Example do
  defmacro sample(ast, visibility) do
    # sample visibility handling
    attr =
      case visibility do
        :public -> :type
        :private -> :typep
      end

    # this optional line allows you to use sigils:
    # Example.sample(~w[a b c]a, :private)
    list = Macro.expand(ast, __CALLER__)

    # if unuoqte needs to be used which is the case here
    # then quote cannot have bind_quoted option set
    # as this option sets unquote option to false
    # making unquote/1 calls not work
    quote do
      # @ is a macro which means we need to use unquote here
      # to pass a raw data instead of ast not recognized by said macro
      @unquote(attr)(t() :: {unquote_splicing(list)})
    end
  end
end

Helpful resources:

  1. @/1 macro
  2. quote/2 special form
saleyn

saleyn OP

How would you rewrite it if the first argument to your sample/2 macro is actually the content of a dynamically built attribute? E.g.

def prep_sample() do
  quote do
    Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :types, accumulate: true)
  end
  Module.put_attribute(mod, :types, {:a, String.t()})
  Module.put_attribute(mod, :types, {:b, atom()})
  Module.put_attribute(mod, :types, {:c, integer()})
end

And I essentially want to make the type containing the types taken from the types attribute in the “pseudo” code below:

defmacro sample(types, visibility) do
  attr =
    case visibility do
      :public -> :type
      :private -> :typep
    end
  list = for {_,type} <- types, do: type
  quote do
    @unquote(attr)(t() :: {unquote_splicing(list)})
  end
end

def define_type(visibility) do
  prep_sample()
  sample(Module.get_attribute(__MODULE__, :types), visibility)
end
Eiji

Eiji

Your code would not even compile. Also you can put module attributes only when mod is does not yet finished compiling. quote/1 inside a function should be returned (as last expression) when said function is called by macro. Otherwise in function body you would have a quoted expression which would not be evaluated.

Maybe you look for something like this?

defmodule Example do
  defmacro __using__(_opts \\ []) do
    quote do
      import Example, only: [type: 2, using: 1, using: 2]
      Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :_types, accumulate: true)
    end
  end

  defmacro type(name, ast) do
    quote bind_quoted: [ast: Macro.escape(ast), name: name] do
      @_types {name, ast}
    end
  end

  defmacro using(opts \\ [visibility: :public], do: block) do
    attr = visibility(opts[:visibility])

    quote bind_quoted: [attr: attr, block: block] do
      _ = block
      list = @_types |> Enum.map(&elem(&1, 1)) |> Enum.reverse()

      case attr do
        :opaque -> @opaque t() :: {unquote_splicing(list)}
        :type -> @type t() :: {unquote_splicing(list)}
        :typep -> @typep t() :: {unquote_splicing(list)}
      end
    end
  end

  defp visibility(:opaque), do: :opaque
  defp visibility(:private), do: :typep
  defp visibility(:public), do: :type
end

defmodule Test do
  use Example

  using visibility: :private do
    type :a, String.t()
    type :b, atom()
    type :c, integer()
  end
end
saleyn

saleyn OP

Thanks Eiji! What prompted this question was my modification of the typed_struct library that adds support of typedrecord, e.g.:

defmodule Person do
  use TypedStruct

  typedrecord :person do
    @typedoc "A person"

    field :name, String.t(),
    field :age,  non_neg_integer(), default: 0
  end
end

The code above will be expanded to:

defmodule Person do
  use Record
  Record.defrecord(:person, name: nil, age: 0)
  @type person :: {:person, String.t, non_neg_integer}
end

There were two places in my implementation that I wanted to improve: this and this to avoid repetition.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews