Shakarim

Shakarim

Hello everyone, I’m building an app using mnesia as storage, and I got a some questions:

  1. How to correctly test modules which using the mnesia?
    As example: I have an app with 3 genservers which contain callbacks for CRUD under specific supervisor. Every single genserver works with specific table. Im adding the tests for this 3 genserver, testing scenarios and the setup block (into every script file of course) with :mnesia.clear_table(:my_table) inside.

    • If Im trying to call this scripts one by one - everything is ok. Troubles begins when I’m calling all tests at once. As I understand, :mnesia works asyncroniously, and tables do not have time to change their state between two or more testing scenarios. As result: sometimes testing scripts works correctly, sometimes not.

    • Sometimes i got message like disk_log: repairing '__FILE__'. All appearance, I see this message because :mnesia are not stopped correctly after ExUnit complete (I think it is perceived like a sudden shutting down for mnesia, working ends off and formed the difference between data in file on disk and data in RAM).

      What can I do, for fix this message reason? Maybe exist some way for stop the :mnesia correctly when all test scenarios is complete?

    How do I clean/drop/change state properly the mnesia table(s)/schema(s) for making a tests wich gonna work stable and predictably?

  2. How to correctly create mnesia schema & start the mnesia in app?
    Basically, I have a 2 way, start it manually or add mnesia into extra_applications in mix.exs. I choosed first option. I’ve choosed this way, because if I add mnesia into extra_applications - I will have to stop it before calling :mnesia.create_schema (I’m creating the schema & starting mnesia inside init/1 of supervisor).

    Is it good way or not? I don’t know why, but I feel that it’s - anti-pattern.

    Is this practice if correct? Creating the schema inside supervisor’s init/1. Or I should apart the creating schema/tables from supervisor logic? If yes - how can I create schema/tables correctly in application deployment?

    If you have some advices, examples or something else, which can help me with this questions - I would be appreciative.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

rogerweb

rogerweb

I won’t be able to address all your questions because my experience is with RAM-only tables, but I can share what works for me anyway in case it helps.

All Mnesia-related code are isolated in it’s own module (it’s called Store in my case). It exposes an init/1 function that creates the tables and a stop/0 function that is only used by the tests, which deletes the tables and stops Mnesia. Since all the tables are RAM-only, I don’t use create_schema.

In each test file, I have something like this:

  setup_all do
    Store.init()
    on_exit(&Store.stop/0)
    :ok
  end

If you are relying on the order of the tests in each test file, you can add the following line to your test_helper.exs file to make sure the tests will run in the given order:

ExUnit.configure(seed: 0)

So each test file starts with an empty database, then I use the functions provided by my Store module to insert, query, update and delete data and test the results.

For production, I have a GenServer that calls that init/1 function in its own init/1 and handles events from Mnesia like node up and node down, but that’s all. The users of the Store module call its functions directly from their processes and not by sending messages to a GenServer.

Finally, I do have :mnesia in my extra_applications.

Hope it helps,

Regards

Shakarim

Shakarim OP

I thought about this way, but 1. this solution creates a dependency of implementation from tests (I will need to create specific functions that needs for testing the module and doesn’t useful for business logic. 2. It doesn’t solve the problem with dropping the data from table/schema =(

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews