dinasol

dinasol

how would I create database on release task with elixir 1.9?
I found on hexdocx Deploying with Releases — Phoenix v1.8.8 how to run migration, but not database creation

before I upgraded to 1.9 I had in my release script create and migrate following this: https://ronantreacy.com/blog/deploying-phoenix-applications-using-docker-and-distillery

here is my code for creating database:

defmodule Release.Tasks do

  @start_apps [ :postgrex, :ecto ]

  @myapps [:my_app]

  @repos [MyApp.Repo]

  def createdb do

    # Ensure all apps have started
    Enum.each(@myapps, fn(x) ->
      :ok = Application.load(x)
    end)

    # Start postgrex and ecto
    Enum.each(@start_apps, fn(x) ->
      {:ok, _} = Application.ensure_all_started(x)
    end)

    # Create the database if it doesn't exist
    Enum.each(@repos, &ensure_repo_created/1)

    :init.stop()
  end
  

  defp ensure_repo_created(repo) do
    case repo.__adapter__.storage_up(repo.config) do
      :ok -> :ok
      {:error, :already_up} -> :ok
      {:error, term} -> {:error, term}
    end
  end

end

and then I ran it on the pre_start hook like this:
bin/my_app command Elixir.Release.Tasks createdb,
which worked well,

now when I am using 1.9 release, i try running with

./bin/my_app eval 'Release.Tasks.createdb()' 

which follows this error:

** (KeyError) key :database not found in: [telemetry_prefix: [:my_app, :repo], otp_app: :my_app, timeout: 15000, pool_size: 10]
    (elixir) lib/keyword.ex:393: Keyword.fetch!/2
    (ecto_sql) lib/ecto/adapters/postgres.ex:128: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres.storage_up/1
    lib/create_migrate_task.ex:57: Release.Tasks.ensure_repo_created/1
    (elixir) lib/enum.ex:783: Enum."-each/2-lists^foreach/1-0-"/2
    (elixir) lib/enum.ex:783: Enum.each/2
    lib/create_migrate_task.ex:18: Release.Tasks.createdb/0
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6

note:
this is my config.exs: (I did not use run time configuration)

import Config

config :my_app,
       ecto_repos: [MyApp.Repo]

config :school, MyApp.Repo,
       database: "my-cool-db",
       password: "changeme",
       hostname: "123.456.8.789",
       port: "5432",
       timeout: 60_000,
       pool_size: 10,
       max_overflow: "100",
       queue_target: 60_000,
       queue_interval: 120_000

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Production database are most often manually created, because security is more important. At best your app doesn’t have credentials for a user, which is allowed to create databases.

dinasol

dinasol OP

@LostKobrakai I have a release that is deployed on various environments - dev, staging etc.. so it is necessary for me to have them created automatically on boot

here is my final code which worked well (also when having configuration in run time release.exs)

defmodule Release.Tasks do
  @moduledoc false

  @start_apps [:postgrex, :ecto, :ecto_sql]

  @myapps [:my_app]
  
  def create_and_migrate() do
    createdb()
    migrate()
  end

  def createdb do
    # Start postgrex and ecto
    IO.puts "Starting dependencies..."

    # Start apps necessary for executing migrations
    Enum.each(@start_apps, &Application.ensure_all_started/1)

    Enum.each(@myapps, &create_db_for/1)
    IO.puts "createdb task done!"

  end

  def create_db_for(app) do
    for repo <- get_repos(app) do
      :ok = ensure_repo_created(repo)
    end
  end

  defp ensure_repo_created(repo) do
    IO.puts "create #{inspect repo} database if it doesn't exist"
    case repo.__adapter__.storage_up(repo.config) do
      :ok -> :ok
      {:error, :already_up} -> :ok
      {:error, term} -> {:error, term}
    end
  end


  def migrate() do
    IO.puts "Start running migrations.."
    Enum.each(@myapps, &run_migrations_for/1)
    IO.puts "migrate task done!"
  end

  def run_migrations_for(app) do
    IO.puts "Running migrations for '#{app}'"
    for repo <- get_repos(app) do
      {:ok, _, _} = Ecto.Migrator.with_repo(repo, &Ecto.Migrator.run(&1, :up, all: true))
    end
    IO.puts "Finished running migrations for '#{app}'"
  end

  defp get_repos(app) do
    Application.load(app)
    Application.fetch_env!(app, :ecto_repos)
  end

  def rollback(repo, version) do
    {:ok, _, _} = Ecto.Migrator.with_repo(repo, &Ecto.Migrator.run(&1, :down, to: version))
  end

end
11
Post #2
geofflangenderfer

geofflangenderfer

this is a hole in the existing docs. It skips over creating prod databases.

How are you calling create_and_migrate() on your remote server?

Like this? ./bin/my_app eval ‘Release.Tasks.create_and_migrate()’

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews