miguel_o

miguel_o

Hello, a question, participating in the ECSx (Ship) tutorial, but changing the dynamics of the game. How multiple consecutive commands of the following line should be implemented in the code:

  ECSx.ClientEvents.add(socket.assigns.player_entity, event)

For the purposes of managing both the movements and firing of the ship via orders entered with types from the interface?

Ex.

“move north 10 positions”, “launch 3 shots”, “move west 5 positions”

I’ll look forward for your answer!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Hi Miguel! When using ClientEvents, try to make each event line up with a single input from the user. So, let’s say you have a button which can be clicked by the user to move north, and one button click always equals 10 “positions” on the map. The ClientEvent in this case would just be :move_north - and the distance moved is only a concern for the ClientEventHandler:

def Ship.Systems.ClientEventHandler do
  ...
  @move_distance 10

  defp process_one({player, :move_north}) do
    y = YPosition.get(player)
    YPosition.update(player, y + @move_distance)
  end
end

Now, if you have a button where sometimes a press moves 10 positions, and other times a press moves 5 positions, the question is: what determines this value? If the value comes from the frontend, such as a slider in the UI where the user adjusts the speed, then we’ll attach that value as metadata with the event:

ClientEvents.add(player_entity, {:move_north, 10})
ClientEvents.add(player_entity, {:move_north, 5})

and the handler:

defp process_one({player, {:move_north, value}}) do
  y = YPosition.get(player)
  YPosition.update(player, y + value)
end

But if the value is based in the backend (stored as a component somewhere) then metadata should not be used. For example, if one button press equals s positions, where s is the SailingSpeed of the player’s ship, simply add :move_north and fetch the value in the handler:

defp process_one({player, :move_north}) do
  y = YPosition.get(player)
  value = SailingSpeed.get(player)
  YPosition.update(player, y + value)
end

Hope this helps, happy to answer any other questions you might have!

miguel_o

miguel_o OP

Hi Andy, I appreciate the quick response, you surprised me!
I understood the concept perfectly. However, I don’t see a way to change the dynamic, I want to implement multiple actions concatenated from a simple user event, for example with a text input.
I think the problem is in the update cycle between the frontend and backend.
Any ideas you can give me will be welcome!
Thank you in advance..

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Remember, you want one ClientEvent for each user event. In this case we have:

  • 1 simple user event on the frontend
def handle_event("liveview_event", params, socket) do
  ...
  ECSx.ClientEvents.add(player_entity, {:simple_user_event, maybe_metadata})
  ...
end
  • multiple actions on the backend
def Ship.Systems.ClientEventHandler do
  ...

  defp process_one({player, :simple_user_action, metadata}) do
    do_action_1()
    do_action_2()
    do_action_3()
    ...
  end
end
miguel_o

miguel_o OP

Great Andy, this works! Now, to up level, any idea to aggregate sound?
I hope your comments! Thank you from yet!

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Playing audio is mostly a job for the client - so it depends on what type of frontend you are using. If it’s a web game in the browser, maybe start with looking into Using the Web Audio API - Web APIs | MDN

miguel_o

miguel_o OP

Ok, let’s go for this! Thank you very much!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews