shahryarjb
Hi, I have a big list in my GenServer which I want to load them as a pagination, for example I counted it and I have x records and I want to load it with a page size (like 20).
my user inputs: page 1 and this pagination should load (1 - 20) records and if my user inputs page 2 , it should loads (21 - 40).
I saw Stream.resource but I couldn’t use it
Please help me to understand this!!
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tomkonidas
Not sure if this would be the best way
RudManusachi
In BEAM lists are “linked” lists.. so any page > 1 would require somehow to traverse the list.. Either if you skip first N and take M elements.. or if you “chunk_every” M and take Nth chunk of it.
We need some sort an indexing.. What about storing in a map where key is the index? Then based on the request you quickly figure out the required keys and do
Map.take/2?Or maybe store somewhere that supports pagination? :ets and :mnesia support match specs.. But to rephrase a regex joke “if you decide to use a match spec you now have two problems”
Depends on the task =)
trisolaran
If your elements are in memory, then you can just do:
This will give you the elements on the 3rd page (21 through 30).
However, keeping a large list in memory and implementing pagination in this way is potentially inefficient.
May ask you where your data is loaded from? It may be more efficient to offload pagination to the data source. For example, if the data source is an SQL database, you could fetch the elements for a given page with:
In this way only the elements of the desired page will be loaded every time, and with the proper indexes set up in your DB the query will be fast.
karlosmid
Hi! This is a very useful library:
https://github.com/stephenmoloney/scrivener_list