DestroyedSoul

DestroyedSoul

Hello,

I am using Phoenix 1.8.x where the modal core component has been removed.
I try to use DaisyUI modal component like this:

<!-- Button that opens modal -->
  <.button onclick="add_item_modal.showModal()" variant="primary">
    Add item
  </.button>
<!-- The modal itself-->
<dialog id="add_item_modal" class="modal">
    <div class="modal-box">
      <button
        class="btn btn-sm btn-circle btn-ghost absolute right-2 top-2"
        onclick="add_item_modal.close()"
      >
        x
      </button>
      <h3 class="text-lg font-bold">Add item</h3>
      <.form
        for={@new_item_form}
        phx-change="change_new_item_name"
        phx-submit="add_new_item"
      >
        <.input field={@new_item_form[:name]} placeholder="Item name" />
        <.button
          type="submit"
          variant="primary"
          disabled={disable_add_item_button?(@new_item_form)}
        >
          Add
        </.button>
      </.form>
    </div>
  </dialog>

Within the modal there’s a form: a single input field where I want to type the name of the item. Add button is enabled or disabled based on whether the name is empty. Pressing close or Add buttons should close the modal.

It works just fine in terms of opening, displaying the form, closing. However, whenever I type a single character, the modal closes. Apparently, this happens because live view re-renders the UI and it does not keep track of the open state for modal.

To resolve this, I tried to implement a js hook, that would check open flag on mounted and updated, and reopen the modal if needed. This worked only to an extent: the modal got reopened, but the input field lost focus: i.e. after typing each character I had to click on the field again.

Could you please share best practices on how to work with forms inside modals?
Did I go the wrong way with the js hook altogether, or was that approach fixable?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

sevenseacat

sevenseacat

Author of Ash Framework

Use a Liveview JS event to open the modal, instead of a pure JavaScript onclick event.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

LiveView 1.1 will allow for phx-mounted={JS.ignore_attributes(["open"])}, which should also resolve this.

DestroyedSoul

DestroyedSoul OP

I upgraded LiveView to 1.1.0-rc.4, and JS.ignore_attributes solved the issue, indeed. Thanks a lot!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews