tlietz

tlietz

After creating a Phoenix project, mix.exs has:
elixir: "~> 1.12"

However, running elixir -v outputs:

Erlang/OTP 25 [erts-13.0.3] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit] [dtrace]

Elixir 1.14.0 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 25)

What is the best practice in these scenarios?
Is it to use a version manager like asdf to set the local Elixir version to match 1.12 like what’s in mix.exs?
Or is it to change the 1.12 in mix.exs to match the 1.14 global Elixir version?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

hauleth

hauleth

It depends. The :elixir key in mix.exs make sense only for libraries and as sanity check. Otherwise you do not need to care much about it.

tlietz

tlietz OP

When you say “libraries”, do you mean if I am creating a library, I should put the elixir version that my library was created with?

Or do you mean that the libraries in my dependencies will rely on the elixir version specified in mix.exs?

zachallaun

zachallaun

When creating a library, you should put the minimum Elixir version that your library is tested with for compatibility. There are techniques for conditionally compiling additional library features based on the presence of certain features, so you may have a library that requires ~> 1.12 but has some features that require a later version of Elixir (or OTP) — those features may just be unusable on 1.12.

If are working on a team, however, you will want to use something like the asdf version manager and a .tool_versions file checked into the repository specifying the same Elixir and OTP versions that your app will use in production.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews