dantswain
Hi! Does anyone have any recommendation on how to debug my application seemingly completely randomly shutting down? The only diagnostic information I seem to get is that it logs
[notice] Application my_app exited: shutdown
AFAIK there’s nothing else weird going on with the app. This is my dev machine so it’s entirely possible that it’s being caused by something there (OOM killer? Running out of file descriptors?) but I don’t know how to get at the underlying cause. I’m not seeing this in other environments like production.
Nothing else is being logged around it, it doesn’t seem to correlate to application errors (which I run into during development for sure) or anything else in particular. It just randomly shuts down and I have to restart it.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
You haven’t given us any information so I’d offer you to start disabling the supervised parts of your app one by one and trying to reproduce the problem until you pinpoint the guilty party.
dantswain
This is all the information I have! That’s my point lol. I’m hoping to learn how to get more information.
It’s a pretty basic phoenix app. I can’t disable much from the supervision tree without making the app useless which isn’t really acceptable at the moment since I wouldn’t be able to get anything done.
If any part of my supervision tree was crashing, would I not see error logs? Is there a logger setting I’m forgetting about? I haven’t changed anything from the
mix phx.newconfig. I’m going to try enabling SASL handling in the elixir logger.dimitarvp
TBF I am really not the right guy to help you here, just gave you one shot in the dark – I don’t do Phoenix for a while now.
I’d try enabling logging as much as possible indeed but otherwise no, parts of the apps falling down shouldn’t normally spam the stdout so yeah it can be a bit invisible.
How new is the app? If you just started you can also create it anew with
mix phx.newand make a directory-wide diff?dantswain
Just following up here, I finally caught it. I enabled SASL logging and caught the supervisor’s crash message.
It’s not super relevant to the original question but in case anyone else stumbles upon this, the error I’m getting is:
Without SASL logging enabled there was nothing else in the logs to indicate why the app had crashed.
dimitarvp
Cool! And did you find out why was it failing?
dantswain
Not yet but I opened an issue
ream88
Thanks for this, helped me debugging a similar issue
jazzgarcha
Hi all, for anyone else running into this.
Make sure your ENV values are loaded before starting your server.
I was experiencing the “Application ABC exited: shutdown”, loading my env resolved the process that was getting killed.