Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer

Creator of Raxx

NOTE all these questions are related to my use of dialyxir.

Type variables

From the erlang documentation.

Type variables can be used in specifications to specify relations for the input and output arguments of a function. For example, the following specification defines the type of a polymorphic identity function:

-spec id(X) -> X.

This suggests that dialyzer does support type variables and polymorphic types. I cannot see how to declare type variables in Elixir. For example I tried the following code

defmodule TypeVariables do
  @spec id(T) :: T
  def id(x) do
    x
  end

  def run() do
    id(:foo)
  end
end

However this fails because the compiler does not consider T as a variabled. Running dialyxir gives the following output.

lib/test1.ex:7: Function run/0 has no local return
lib/test1.ex:8: The call 'Elixir.TypeVariables':id('foo') breaks the contract ('Elixir.T') -> 'Elixir.T'

Showing Posts 1 to 10

idi527

idi527

Maybe @spec id(t) :: t. T seems to be considered as an atom :"Elixir.T" by dializer, and not a variable.

Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer OP

Creator of Raxx

No that doesn’t work either.

idi527

idi527

Is the error the same?

What about

@spec id(t) :: t when t: any
NobbZ

NobbZ

Close… when a: var, or t :wink:

Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer OP

Creator of Raxx

Thanks, I know longer get a compiler error but i’m not sure what it’s doing.
I would have expected the following to give an error

defmodule TypeVariables do
  @spec id(t) :: t when t: var
  def id(x) do
    Atom.to_string(x)
  end

  def run() do
    id(:foo)
  end
end

It’s a function taking an atom and returning a string

peerreynders

peerreynders

Defining a specification

Type variables with no restriction can also be defined.

That reads as if it is simply unconstrained rather than unified.

In my experience dialyzer wants specifics, e.g.

  @type my_t(t) :: list(t)
  @type my_int_t :: my_t(integer())
  @spec id(t) :: t when t: my_int_t
  @spec id(t) :: t when t: integer()
  @spec id(atom()) :: atom()
  def id(x) do
    x
  end

  @spec run() :: r when r: atom()
  def run() do
    id(:foo)
  end

  @spec run2() :: r when r: integer()
  def run2() do
    id(10)
  end

  @spec run3() :: r when r: my_int_t
  def run3() do
    id([10])
  end
NobbZ

NobbZ

Does equivalent Erlang code produce the same not-warning?

peerreynders

peerreynders

Even in Erlang the error isn’t detected on id/1 - it is only caught if you spec run/0

-spec id(T) -> T.
id(X) ->
    X,
    10.

-spec run() -> atom().
run() ->
    id(foo).
$ dialyzer frequency.erl
  Checking whether the PLT /Users/wheatley/.dialyzer_plt is up-to-date... yes
  Proceeding with analysis...
frequency.erl:250: Function id/1 will never be called
frequency.erl:254: Invalid type specification for function frequency:run/0. The success typing is () -> 10
frequency.erl:255: Function run/0 will never be called
 done in 0m0.14s
done (warnings were emitted)

The Erlang documentation sets the expectation that it should work

Type variables can be used in specifications to specify relations for the input and output arguments of a function.

Edit: I suspect that we are overlooking the “success typing” aspect. Strictly speaking any type is a term() so:

  • @spec id(atom()) :: String.t()
  • satisfies @spec id(t) :: t when t: term()
  • therefore @spec id(t) :: t when t: var is satisfied.
jeremyjh

jeremyjh

Type variables are not unified by dialyzer. In the spec @spec id(t) :: t when t: var, the t as arg and t as return may as well be different type variables entirely.

Crowdhailer

Crowdhailer OP

Creator of Raxx

Does anyone do this or similar.
Here I am using a spec’d identity function to “cast” a binary to an opaque type which will instruct dialyzer to warn when I try to use it in normal strip operation.

defmodule MyID do
  @opaque t(x) :: x

  @spec id(binary) :: t(binary)
  def id(x) do
    x
  end

  def run do
    id = id("alice")
    String.upcase(id)
  end
end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews