aswinmohanme

aswinmohanme

TLDR;
How do I deploy a LiveView app such that I want the WebSocket to be hosted on a separate domain than the deployed app? I want my app liveview.com app to access the websockets on wss://notliveview.com/live.

I have changed my app.js to point to the full website, but the LiveView crashes and infinitely refreshes. I have changed the check_origin: policy to false and set session_options as, but still it does not connect. I can see on the network inspector that the cookie is not set when accessing wss://notliveview.com from a website hosted on liveview.com.

  @session_options [
    store: :cookie,
    key: "_app_web_key",
    signing_salt: "ARodNYY",
    same_site: "None",
    secure: true
  ]

Why ?

I have a monolithic Phoenix LiveView that currently serves the landing, privacy policy and terms-of-service from a single server. I also want to create a new blog, and I want to split it from the monolithic app and deploy it as a static site.

I have deployed my Phoenix LiveView app on Fly and the new marketing site (generated using a static site generator on Vercel). I’m planning to use Vercel as the front-facing website. When a person visits your site, it first checks if it matches the Vercel ones and if it doesn’t the rest of the request is reverse proxied through next.config.js: rewrites | Next.js through to the LiveView app.

It works fine for apps over HTTP, but does not work with Websockets because of the above issue, any pointers would be really helpful.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Entirely different domains will not share cookies, ever. You have 2 choices:

  • set the cookie on a apex domain and check the cookie in a sub-domain
  • forget about cookies and sessions all together
aswinmohanme

aswinmohanme OP

I control the domain so I think I can go with the first option. So I have liveview.com as the apex domain on vercel and app.liveview.com as the websocket URL. I have to set the cookie on the apex domain liveview.com and have the cookie read on app.liveview.com.

Do I need to set the cookie by Vercel or can my LiveView create that apex level cookie ? And how do I read that from my liveview app ?

Thanks for the pointers.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

I only know how to do it if both are using phoenix. Basically you just use the same secret_key_base on both sides.

In my understanding, vercel is a static site host; you cannot use a cookie session. So I’d think you have to use the second way?

aswinmohanme

aswinmohanme OP

It worked!, Thank you so much, I had been working on this for the past two days and was so close to giving up. I had tried everything except that same domain thing.

The cookie gets automatically set by the live endpoint, and everything works like a charm, Auth, Sessions all. Thanks again :smiley:

Here is the config for the future people

  @session_options [
    store: :cookie,
    key: "_indie_paper_key",
    signing_salt: "eNoZacmO",
    domain: "rootdomain.com"
  ]
aswinmohanme

aswinmohanme OP

Here is the blog post about it in case it helps someone Superfast Webapps using NextJS, Vercel, LiveView and Fly.io · aswinmohan.me

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews